Major Nelson has confirmed the original story on his blog.
Starting next month (April 2012) all new Xbox LIVE Arcade games will have the option to increase from 200 to 400 Gamerscore points, with the addition of up to 30 Achievements. Even better, this Gamerscore increase will be required in all new Xbox LIVE Arcade games starting in June 2012.
Xbox 360 Achievements is reporting that there is an upcoming policy change leaked to them via a reliable source. This change will see Xbox LIVE Arcade games more than double the current maximum Gamerscore and almost double the number of Achievements.
The policy change is expected to happen from 1 June, but any games released between 1 April and 31 May will be able to use the new policy if they like.
According to the site: “These new rules give more opportunities for better progression of achievements through story and multiplayer, as well as allowing for more unique and fun achievements that we often see in retail games, but can be rare for an arcade.
“It also can lengthen the development cycle for a single game, allowing a company to offer up to a full year of DLC additions that can increase the game’s Gamerscore.”
- OLD RULES
- Base: 200 Gamerscore / Max of 20 Achievements
- DLC: Up to 50 Gamerscore + 5 Achievements per Quarter (3 Max)
- Total: Up to 350 Gamerscore / 35 Achievements
- NEW RULES
- Base: 400 Gamerscore / Max of 30 Achievements
- DLC: Up to 100 Gamerscore + 8 Achievements per Quarter (4 Max)
- Total: Up to 800 Gamerscore / 62 Achievements