Another week of action has come and gone in South African gaming, with another eventful week (and weekend) to come.
This is what you may have missed…
- Brainwavez: The South African Virtual-Reality Community Is Organising…
- MWEB GameZone: Here’s what you missed at the Gauteng MKX Cup Qualifiers
- MWEB GameZone: Important May events for SA gamers
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
Almost every event this weekend (admittedly, we’re only aware of three) features fighting in one form or another.
- From 5pm on Friday night, Cold Fusion LAN hits Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park, Gauteng. R150 gets you in for a full weekend of PC LAN action. More information can be found on the event page.
- On Friday night from 6pm, there will be blood in the form of Injustice: Gods Among Us and Mortal Kombat X at Kamimodo E-Sports Cafe. Entry is R30 but members (we assume UCT Genshiken Society members) can join for R20. [More…]
- In Pretora, Jukes Club and Esports Lounge will be hosting a Cosplay Competition from 8pm on Friday night. Competitions in two categories (gaming and comics/anime), as well as lucky prize draws will form part of the night’s activities. [More…]
- The MSSA Mpumulanga Provincial Championships are on this weekend (Saturday and Sunday to be exact). The championships will feature eSports, wargaming and board games. Details can be found here.
- The Mortal Kombat Cup hits Cape Town on Saturday. The action kicks off at 10am, but if you haven’t registered, you’re too late. Selected matches will be streamed by nAv TV. [More…]
Competitions & Giveaways
- MWEB GameZone: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Collector’s Edition Up For Grabs
- MWEB GameZone: Win one of three pairs of day passes to Cape Town’s Electronics & Gaming Expo
Electronics & Gaming Expo
The event is drawing closer by the day, and there’s still plenty of planning happening (it’s a daily job in the zombie asylum), as well as news and updates coming through. These are the articles that will help keep you informed about the goings-on on the weekend of 29 to 31 May.
- EGE | Advanced Warfare (Xbox One) Registrations
- EGE | Advanced Warfare (PS4) Registrations
- EGE | Corsair CS:GO Tournament Registrations
- EGE | Mortal Kombat X Pre-Registrations
- EGE | FIFA 15 (X360) Registrations
- We’re taking our little party to CTICC… and we’re bringing friends… (Zombiegamer)
- Cape Town’s Gaming Expo is Definitely On – Everything you need to know (MWEB GameZone)
- Cape Town’s Gaming and Tech Expo – Tournaments, Cosplay and More (MWEB GameZone)
- Win one of three pairs of day passes to Cape Town’s Electronics & Gaming Expo (MWEB GameZone)
Goodbye to NAG Magazine
This week the original SA gaming magazine announced that they would publish their last edition in July 2015. After 17 years of being the home of gaming news, NAG magazine will cease to exist, but NAG Online will undergo a change to become “something not seen every day.”
The end of an era was brought on by a “diminishing” print industry (we assume they mean reduced circulation), which lead to reduced advertising in an “ever-volatile gaming industry.”
The full statement by NAG’s Michael James can be found here.
A number of local gaming websites gave their thoughts on this announcement”
Zombiegamer wishes to say that we have the utmost respect for what the magazine did for the growth of gaming in South Africa, and it is indeed a sad day when we have to say farewell to an institution with such a brilliant history. See you all in the zombie apocalypse.
The MWEB GameZone Masters Series
A reminder that Call of Duty fans on Xbox One and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive fans on PC are well covered at the moment. Along with a number of other tournaments happening, MWEB GameZone is running online tournaments for both titles.
Registrations for the Call of Duty tournament close on Friday, while the CS: GO registrations stay open for another week. But we suggest you just register now.
If you haven’t signed up for the Winter Leg of the DGL, your time is running out. Registrations close this week, so maybe you need to get your team signed up before it’s too late.
Teams are playing for a spot to go to Montreal, Canada for the ESWC CS: GO Tournament in July.
The team consists of Jaun “Zeo” Nieuwoudt (captain), Jean “kustoM” Herbst, Donovan “nod” Fourie, Neil “fOrce” Spengler and Derik “gremzz” Van Wyk.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.