Another week of action and attractions from around South Africa. If you missed anything, shame on you.
A few local articles that did the rounds elsewhere this week.
- Lazygamer: White men dominate the South African games industry
- Lazygamer: How are our South African games doing on Steam?
- MWEB GameZone: SA’s Mortal Kombat Cup Runneth Over
- MWEB GameZone: MGSA Survey – An inside look at SA’s game development industry
- MWEB GameZone: Tuks Mindsport and eAe Gaming April Hearthstone Cup Winner
- SAGamer: Just how healthy is the local game development scene?
- Telkom Gaming: In the Spotlight: The TM2 DGL
The weekend has a little bit for everyone.
- This Saturday is Free Comic Book Day. If you’re looking for a good spot to spend the day, we’d suggest Stadium on Main in Claremont, Cape Town where Reader’s Den will be hosting comic fans, geeks, cosplayers and more.
- Also on Saturday 2 May is the Garden Route LAN. Action kicks off at 10am and runs until 11pm. Seats cost R50, and if you need more information, we suggest heading here.
- FIFAChamps are hosting a FIFA 15 tournament on Saturday at Lounge Relax Play in Canal Walk. For R50 you can play for a first prize of R1,000 cash and a second prize of a DSTV decoder with installation. Kick off is 11am. [Source]
Sales & Discounts
Ster Kinekor and participating stores are offering a R700 discount on the PS4 for only 72 hours from 1 May until 3 May. The saving is across the standalones and bundles and only while stocks last. The saving means you can pick up a PS4 for as little as R5,299. [More…]
Almost immediately, Microsoft has announced a R1,000 discount for the same period on the Sunset Overdrive Xbox One bundle. This means (from participating retailers) you can pick up the console with Sunset Overdrive for R5,299. Also discounted is the Xbox One Standard Edition which will sell for R5,999 (representing a R300 discount), and come with either Forza Horizon 2 or Halo: The Master Chief Collection. [More…]
Competitions & Giveaways
- Mountain Dew South Africa is running a few trivia mini-competitions in celebration of the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Up for grabs is Avengers related hampers, and you can head to their Facebook Page to get involved.
- The MWEB GameZone Mortal Kombat X Kollector’s Edition giveaway has been extended to 4 May. You need to snap a selfie of yourself in a pose of your favourite Mortal Kombat character and post it in the comments here.
Around 22 players were in attendance for the FIFA 15 tournament, split right down the middle when it came to platform preference between Xbox One and Xbox 360.
Playing on their platform of preference and split between two groups, the players had to battle to place top two in their group to proceed to the home and away playoffs and for their share of the R1,750 cash up for grabs.
A number of new faces fought their way into the top eight at this event, along with a few familiar faces, including multiple previous winner Yazeed Dollie.
Unsurprisingly, Yazeed moved through to the semifinals where he faced Mikaeel Dollie (unrelated) in a tight match that saw Yazeed secure a spot in the final with a 2-1 win.
In the second semifinal, ‘Brownie’ faced newcomer Peter Herclass in another tight match which saw Peter take his spot in the final with a 3-2 win.
The final proved another nailbiter. In the first leg, Yazeed secured a valuable away goal in a 1-1 draw, but didn’t need it in the end as he clinched the second leg 1-0 to secure a 2-1 win overall and bag R1,000 for his day’s efforts. Peter secured R400 for his second place finish.
The group phase has been completed with the top eight teams scheduled to play their knockout matches on Sunday 3 May. You will be able to catch all the action on Orena’s Twitch channel.
The tournament bracket can be found here.
The next LanX event is scheduled for 2 to 4 July. For R250 per ticket you can head to the Jonibach Sport Centre in Pretoria from 10am on the 2nd of July for your choice of gaming including:
- Call of Duty Black Ops 2 (Free for all)
- Track mania forever (Free for all)
- League of Legends (3v3 twisted treeline)
- Dota 2 (5v5)
- and a “classic game to be announced at event”
Great prizes are promised, so we suggest keeping your weekend free for the event. You can keep tabs on the event via the Facebook Event Page.
MY AXE Gaming
My AXE Gaming has announced their next LAN event – the Gauntlet Evolution eSports LAN (or GEEL if you prefer less of a mouthful) – which will be hosted at Emperor’s Palace from 3 to 5 July.
Games to be hosted are CS: GO and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (both on PC we assume) 5v5 and booking will open on 30 April.
Cold Fusion LAN
The next edition of the Cold Fusion LAN will be run on 22-24 May at Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park. R150 will get you in and there are “great prizes to be won”.
Details can be found here.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.