Another week has come and gone in SA gaming, and if you missed it, you probably missed out. But never fear, there’s always something happening in the coming week.
Here’s a few things you may have missed over the last week (and a bit):
- Win R1000 credit for CheapCodes
- Win a Razer Bundle
- FIFAChamps & Zombiegamer FIFA 15 Collaboration Tournament
- Our profile of Ozone Tournaments
- Our report on the FIFA 15 R10K Tournament
More information can be found on the event page.
Kamimodo eSports Cafe
Kamimodo (situated at 238 Main Road, Observatory) will be hosting a Capcom Cup Finals and Street Fighter Ultra 4 Tournament in conjunction with Cape Town Showdown on 13 December. Alongside that will be a League of Legends and Dota 2 LAN.
The Street Fighter tournament is free, and the viewing has an entry fee of R30. The tournament will start at 6:30pm and the viewing kicks off a little later and runs until completion (most likely the early hours of the morning).
The MOBA LAN runs from 6pm until 6am on Sunday (14 December) and the price is R75 per person. PCs are available, but you may also bring along your own PC or laptop.
For more information, you can check out the Facebook Event Page.
The 360 Lounge
Cape Town has a new gaming lounge, and it goes by the name of The 360 Lounge. In case that doesn’t give it away, the venue has Xbox 360s, as well as Xbox Ones. The ten Xbox 360s are hooked up to 40″ LED screens, while the two Xbox Ones are shown off on 49″ LED screens.
The venue is situated at Shop 9, The Cape Quarter, Dixon Street, Green Point and trades Monday to Friday from 12pm to 11pm, Saturday from 10am to 11pm and Sunday 10am to 9pm.
The tariffs very from R55 per hour up to R1495 for 50 hours.
Orena has had a busy week. First, they have announced that they are a member of the Twitch Partnership Program, which was followed by the reveal of a “CounterStrike Invitational consisting of South Africa’s dominant teams!”
Up for grabs (and sponsored by Logitech and The Division) is R14,250 cash, which four of SA’s top teams will play for.
Bravado Gaming, Damage Control, Energy eSports and nAv Gaming will play a double elimination tournament on 13 and 14 December for their share of the money.
Matches will be streamed live on Orena’s Twitch channel.
Ozone Tournaments current PS4 tournament for Call of Duty Advanced Warfare has seen the majority of the first round completed, with the 16 starting teams now down to seven after Blxck sn0w beat WiZe Gaming 3-0 in the only second round match completed to date.
To keep up with the tournament bracket, head here.
Xbox South Africa has announced a R500 price reduction on the Xbox One bundles, meaning you get now score yourself an Xbox One for only R5,799. The price reduction appears to be valid until 24 December at least (according to Raru’s listing).
- Takealot: Sunset Overdrive and FIFA 15 Bundle | Forza 5 and FIFA 15 Bundle | Forza Horizon 2 Bundle | Advanced Warfare Bundle
The recent MSSA AGM revealed a number of winners in the Management Board Awards.
The 2014 winners were:
|Mind Sports Person of the Year:||Morizane Boyes||All Stars|
|Board Gamer of the Year:||Lubabalo Kondlo||Dr Niederhoffer Memorial CC|
|Computer Gamer of the Year:||Barry West||Tuks Mind Sports Club|
|Wargamer of the Year:||Elishia Retief||Old Edwardian Wargames Club|
|Volunteer of the Year:||Louis Brown||All Stars|
|Mind Sports Writer of the Year:||Kyle Wolmarans||MWEB GAMEZONE|
|Best Sponsor of the Year:||MWEB|
- Gforce Sim is running its daily (until 20 December) fastest lap competition in Vaal Mall. Details via Facebook.
- If you’re in KwaZulu-Natal, then FRAG LAN is where you should be. It all kicks off at 4pm on Friday (12 December) and runs until Sunday morning at 9am. Entry is from R200 and there will be a number of competitions held. Details can be found here.
- From Friday from 5pm, GAC LAN kicks off at the Abe Sher Stadium in Bothasig. The LAN runs until Sunday morning and entry per PC seat is R140. Details are available here.
- Cosplayers in Cape Town, on Saturday (13 December), there’s the 10th Cosplay Picnic at the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. The events page should be your first stop for all details.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.