Good day South Africa. We’ve had another week of activity in the SA gaming scene, and there’s still plenty more to come. So sit back, relax and take in the sights and sounds (not really) from the SA scene.
Sales & Discounts
Kalahari has some exclusive Xbox One bundles available for pre-order.
- Xbox One 500GB Console with two controllers, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Fifa 15, Forza 5 and 14 days Xbox Live Gold – R7,699. Order here.
- Xbox One 500GB Console and Kinect with two controllers, Ryse, Dance Central Spotlight, Kinect Sports Rivals, Fifa 15, Forza 5 and 14 days Xbox Live Gold – R9,699. Order here.
You can still get the (regular) Xbox One on pre-order from Kalahari.com.
- Xbox One 500GB Console with Fifa 15 and Forza 5 – R6,299. Order here.
- Xbox One 500GB Console with Kinect, Fifa 15 and Dance Central Spotlight – R7,999. Order here.
MWEB GameZone Masters Series Grand Finals
Registrations have opened for the final part of the MWEB GameZone Masters Series (on Xbox 360) which will comprise of an online group phase, and online double elimination phase and a LAN battle between the top four teams left standing.
With eight teams (F34R Adept, Insane Gaming, Team Astra, Team Origin, High 5, Team Paragon Elite, ViNCO Black and XeroFracture) invited to the tournament and bypassing the group phase, an additional 32 teams have an opportunity to register now and play for the other eight spots available in the double elimination.
Up for grabs is a share of R40,000 in prizes at the Cape Town LAN event which will be hosted on 18 October.
MSI Beat IT
The grand final saw the unbeaten team of the tournament, Bravado Emotion, face down loser’s bracket winner’s Energy Evolution. This was only the second time this year the two teams had played each other, with the previous meetup going the way of the Bravado team the week before in the winner’s bracket final.
On Sunday, the result was repeated with Bravado Emotion taking out their opposition 3-0 to secure their spot in Taiwan against some of the world’s best teams.
You can read qualifier host’s MWEB GamesZone’s coverage of the final here.
MainGaming are currently hosting the South African qualifiers for the ESWC 2014 event in Paris. The first qualifier was held this past weekend which sees the top eight from that event face the top eight players from the next qualifier which is scheduled for 7 September at Norwood Mall in Gauteng. Entry is free and the prize is a spot (with expenses covered) at the PAris event in October/November.
Pictures from the first qualifier can be seen here.
Virtual drifters TTSA joined the world of real drifters and the guys from the R.C. drifting scene at Killarney Race Track on 16 August to celebrate all things drifting and the women who put up with the passion.
Some pictures from the event can be found here.
The ever-active crew from TTSA were also part of a tribute event to Riaz Alibhai and his nephew Tauriq Alibhai who recently passed away. The virtual drifters paid tribute to the man known as ‘The Punisher’ (Riaz Alibhai) on 13 August with a parade and tandems featuring a virtual version of his R33 Punisher. For more on the memorial, head here.
NAG Gaming League
The NAG Gaming League saw the completion of its first qualifier in its ‘Aorus Corsair Dota 2 Clash’ tournament. Up for grabs is around R275,000 worth of Gaming Laptops, Gaming Rigs and Gaming Peripheral sponsored by Aorus and Corsair.
Qualifier 1, played on 24 August, saw Xperts@TotalChaos Rain face Ventus for a place in the finals which will be held at rAge 2014 over the weekend of 10-12 October. In the end, it was Ventus that became the first team to secure their spot at rAge.
Three more online qualifiers are still coming up on 31 August, 14 September and 21 September, with eight teams in total heading to rAge.
If you’re keen to watch some of the upcoming action, nAvTV is the official casters for the NGL, so keep your eye on them here.
The DGL playoffs are generally coming to their end, and as soon as all the qualifiers for the Do Gaming Championships have been finalised, we will detail them here for you.
In the meanwhile, we suggest heading to the TelkomGaming site and selecting the eSports drop-down and choosing the game you’re interested in to get the latest on their ongoing leagues.
Just after this article went live, Telkom Gaming confirmed that this year’s DoGaming Championships will be hosted at rAge over the weekend of 10-12 October. The LAN event will feature Dota 2, League of Legends, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on PC, along with Gran Turismo 6 and Call of Duty Ghosts on console. More information can be found here, and we will detail the qualifying teams in another article once they have been confirmed.
Western Cape Provincial Championships
We can’t really tell you who all won at this past weekend’s Western Cape Provincial Championships due to the fact that we’re still awaiting the official results, but we can say that we know ViNCO Gaming took the Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox 360 and earned their provincial colours. Until the remaining results come along, entertain yourself with pictures from the tournament hosted by (and at) Fairmont High School.
Nkangala Regional Championships
The Nkangala Regional Championships have been announced for 6 September at the Generaal Hertzog Hoerskool in Witbank. The regional will feature the board game Morabaraba, FIFA, Tekken Tag and OSU (which is a bring your own PC title).
Registered members will be required to pay R40 entry fee “per period”.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
The Generaal Hertzog Hoerskool, Witbank shall be holding the MSSA’s Nkangala Regional Championships at Generaal Hertzog Hoerskool, Witbank on Saturday, 6 September 2014.
Like all of the MSSA championships that count towards team selection, the championship has as its main sponsor MWEB. MWEB is also a sponsor of the national Protea Teams for eSports.
The winners of the Nkangala Regional Championships also qualify for National Team Trials should trials be held.
Registrations will close on the on the day of the championships.
Players who wish to compete in any of MSSA’s Championships are advised to complete their annual registration forms so that they may registered as Registered Players as soon as possible.
All gamers are reminded that the Nkangala Regional Championships are an open championship. In other words any registered player is entitled to enter the championship – no matter where they live, or their category of membership. If you have any queries, please contact the MSSA.
Hosting Club: Generaal Hertzog Hoerskool, Witbank
- Venue: Generaal Hertzog Hoerskool, Witbank
- Date: 6 September 2014
- Entry Fees: R40.00 per Registered Player per Period
- Computers: Bring your own if you are playing OSU. Please ensure that all game updates are done prior to arrival.
- Contact: Louis Brown at 0845146367 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schedule: The LAN Schedule is:
|Prize giving||Directly after the end of play.|
- Rules and Regulations: All Rules and Regulations pertaining to eSports are available from the MSSA. Players are strongly advised to familiarise themselves with the LAN League Bylaws and all Period Specific Rules. If any Player wishes to provide advice regarding the drafting of the Period Specific Rules they are encouraged to contact the eSBoC who will take all comments into account.
The following Medals may be awarded at the MSSA’s Nkangala Regional Championships:
- MEN: Medals shall be awarded to the first three players who are registered players.
- WOMEN: Medals shall be awarded to the first three players who are registered players.
Colours and National Team Trials:
- Regional Colours: All Players that win the Premier section in a specific Period at a Regional Championship shall be awarded Regional Colours, and shall earn an invitation to National Team Trials. National Team Trials shall be held in the event that a National Team must be selected to represent South Africa when competing in such Period in an International Championship.
Please note that the MSSA does not carry stock of shirts that are awarded. Registered Players who are awarded colours will thus be awarded at an event that they attend after being so awarded.
Inter-School eSports Online League
The MSSA has invited interested schools to register with their new online league which will feature Dota 2, Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, StarCraft 2, FIFA, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and League of Legends.
Interested schools (who are registered MSSA clubs) can register via email@example.com (contact us if you would like the form), but schools are not required to participate in all titles on offer.
- Tonight, if you feel like a little socialising and competitive gaming, head to Trenchtown, where we will be hosting a Call of Duty and Titanfall tournament. There’s no entry fee but there will be prizes of tattoo vouchers up for grabs. Half price Nachos and Chili Poppers and R20 for a 500ml beer too.
- This weekend, both Cape Town and Gauteng encourage you to express your inner (or outer geek). In Gauteng on 30 and 31 August, there is Kin Con, while in Cape Town we will be hosting T-Fest on Saturday 30 August.
- On Saturday from 4:30pm, Games On Gaming Lounge will be hosting a Dota 2 event. You can enjoy the venue’s hospitality for 12 hours at a cost of R200 for bring your own and R250 if you use their PCs. Details can be found here.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.