Good day South Africa. Look, we’re running out of clever things to say here, so, erm, let’s just get into the SA news then shall we?
Sales & Discounts
- Xbox One 500GB Console with Fifa 15 and Forza 5 – R6299. Order here.
- Xbox One 500GB Console with Kinect, Fifa 15 and Dance Central Spotlight – R7999. Order here.
AWX is offering a rather tasty incentive to anyone pre-ordering an Xbox One via them. You could win a game a month for 12 months, saving you the equivalent value of a small car. OK. Not really the value of a small car, but it’s quite a fair amount of money saved to feed your gaming habit. Details of how to stand a chance to win can be found here.
Pick n Pay
Pick n Pay is offering the PS4 (standalone with a controller) for an R800 saving of R5,999 until 7 September. If you’re in the market for Sony’s latest console, head here.
We’ve been fairly busy the last week, and have plenty happening over the next few weeks, so we thought we’d let you know all about it.
Last Wednesday, we hosted a mini-FIFA 14 tournament at Trenchtown, which saw 11 players sign up to compete in the ‘winner-takes-all’ event. In the end, it was Asheer Dollie who beat his brother Yazeed (twice) in the double elimination tournament to walk off with the cash and bragging rights. We’re back at Trenchtown tonight with shooters as the theme.
On Sunday, we were asked to host a FIFA 14 tournament for registered juniors at the Greenpoint Cricket Club, and we were only too happy to oblige. 19 players worked their way through the group phase and on to the playoffs, which saw Ben Horwitz take the glory and vouchers. Some pictures from the event can be seen here.
- 8 August – Gaming at Dragon Fire, UCT
- 9 August – Gaming at the Women’s Day Festival, Trenchtown
- 9 August – Racing Simulator at Makro Ottery in conjunction with TGN Racing Simulators
- 9 August – Gaming at Gandalf’s, Observatory
- 16 August – Racing Simulator at Makro Montague Gardens in conjunction with TGN Racing Simulators
- 23 August – Racing Simulator at Makro Cape Gate in conjunction with TGN Racing Simulators
- 30 August – T-Fest, Trenchtown,
- Along with our regular Wednesay night residency at Trenchtown.
MSI Beat It SA Qualifiers
The Dota 2 tournament sponsored by MSI and hosted by MWEB GameZone locally kicks off from tonight, and runs until 17 August. Up for grabs for the winning South African team is a chance to grab a spot at the international event in Taiwan. A total of 40 teams will be battling it out, with 32 participating in an open qualifier to join the eight invited teams from South Africa and Namibia.
The top four teams in the Southern African qualifier will then take on four teams from North Africa to determine the team that will go to Taipei, Taiwan with accommodation, US$5000 towards travel and five MSI gaming laptops.
Information that may prove invaluable for your enjoyment of the tournament:
The recent ‘Deathrattle Invitational’ has just come to its conclusion and featured members of the gaming industry in South Africa in a battle to the death in Hearthstone. Thankfully, being undead, we were in no danger of dying anyway, and Zombie of Doom came unstuck in the semi-final against Megarom’s representative.
Having used our best zombie voodoo (powerful, powerful stuff we warn you), we managed to affect the outcome of the final, and ensured that Megarom’s ‘Darkwave’ saw his comeuppance against the HearthBattle representative ‘BeArAbOnG’ – also known as Timothy to his folks.
You can read more about the final here.
Round seven in the the ‘Innervate’ series planned for Thursday from 7pm, and registrations are limited to 32 players until 11:59am on Thursday. Up for grabs are Battlecoins for the top three finishers, and every contestant gets ten Battlecoins just for showing up.
Details can be found here.
MSSA Dota 2 Test Match
The MSSA has organised a Dota 2 test match between South Africa and Egypt, which is scheduled to take place on Friday 8 August at 4pm. The match will be available to watch online on the MWEB GameZone Twitch Channel and the Live Event Stream page.
MSSA Online Championship
The MSSA Online Championship is next weekend (16 August to be exact) and will feature StarCraft 2, Hearthstone and League of Legends. The Championships will be used to determine the players to represent South Africa at the 2014 IeSF World Championships, Baku, and a female national team for League of Legends.
You need to be registered with the MSSA to qualify and will need to have entered the tournament by Thursday 14 August by sending a completed registration form to 086 672 1911 or as a pdf to email@example.com.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
The MSSA is proud to announce that the 2014 MWEB On-line Championship for HearthStone, StarCraft II, and League of Legends will be held on 16 August 2014.
The championship may be used by gamers to qualify for eligibility to compete in the National Team Trials that will be used to select:
- a male and female gamers to represent South Africa at the 2014 IeSF World Championships, Baku, and
- a female national team for League of Legends.
The MSSA would also like to take this opportunity to thank MWEB for their continued support for gaming in South Africa, and for extending their sponsorship to include all Mind Sports On-line Championships. None of this would be possible without the continued support from MWEB.
As per the MSSA’s rules, being:
- If less than six players, the championship shall be a Round Robin Championship
- If 6 to 10 players the championship shall be four rounds as played to the Swiss System
- If 11 to 30 players the championship shall be five rounds as played to the Swiss System
- Any player/team who is a Registered Player affiliated to a MSSA member club may enter.
- Entry is free to all full-paid-up Registered Players.
- Only fully-paid-up Registered Players may participate in this event.
- Entries need to be submitted by no later than Thursday, 14 August 2014.
- To register, a completed registration form must be either faxed to 086 672 1911 or sent as a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
Medals shall be awarded to the first three gamers for both men and women in the following categories:
- PREMIER: The top three places (1st, 2nd, and 3rd).
- UNIVERSITY:Medals shall be awarded to gamers the first three gamers that have not won a Premier medal and who are students currently registered at any officially recognised University.
- SCHOLARS: Medals shall be awarded to the first threelearners currently registered at any officially recognised school, or home schooled, provided they have not received any Premier medals.
- Protea Colours: Only Players that are selected to represent South Africa in International Championships may earn National Colours if the Protea Colours Board’s criteria are met..
- National Colours: All Players that win all of their Matches at a National Championship will earn National Colours.
- Provincial Colours: All Players that win all of their Matches at a Provincial Championship will earn Provincial Colours. All Players who score within the top 50% in a specific Period at a Provincial Championship, and who also score within the top 50% at a National Championship in the same period and in the same year, will earn Provincial Colours.
When and Where:
- 16 August 2014
- The first round will start at 14H00. Players shall be given 60 minutes to complete each round.
The championship is accredited as being of the same status as a provincial championship. This means that the championship shall be used for the following:
- The awarding of provincial colours;
- The awarding of medals for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in Premier, Under 24, and School categories;
- The ability to qualify for National Team Trials.
As usual Trials shall be done at a LAN venue, and the team that can best represent South Africa shall then be selected.
- The MSSA shall decide who may shout-cast the games.
- Anybody wishing to be appointed as a Shout-Caster must apply in writing to email@example.com
- Not quite gaming related, but certainly lifestyle related. The Celludroid Film Festival is happening at the Labia in Cape Town this weekend. Sci-Fi, Anime and Fantasy films are on the menu and we suggest heading to the event page to get all the details needed to plan your viewing.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.