Last week we bemoaned the silence locally and this week (as we suggested) is a complete change. There is plenty happening in South Africa this weekend and beyond, so start booking those dates today.
A few local articles you may have missed:
- Esports Central: Souzern Lions Pro League announced
- Esports Central: The Esports Central Podcast: Episode 004
- Esports Central: What is… Lobbsta?
- Gaming For Kenya: Pro Series Gaming FIFA18 Africa ECup Championship
- Gaming For Kenya: TEKKEN 254 Circuit Season 2 begins on 30 June
- GLHF: Gaming for good
- NAG: Lobbsta’s preparing to showcase its competitive matchmaking platform for Dota 2 at Rush 2018
- Red Bull: Get to know Soweto’s first pro esports club
ACGL have online tournaments over the course of this weekend and into next week, including Fortnite, Call of Duty, Rocket League and more. All the necessary details and registration pages are available here.
It is a busy weekend this one:
- Xbox Playdates ZA June play dates are every Wednesday from 8pm and selected Fridays from 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates for Xbox One players.
- 22nd – F1 2017 (Malyasia 25% Classic Race)
- 27th – Forza Horizon 3
- FRAG LAN is on in Durban this weekend. The returning LAN event is from 1pm on Friday (22 June) and runs until 9am on Sunday (24 June). Tickets are R220 per person or R50 per person for the school event. Details can be found here.
- GAC LAN number 46 kicks off at 5pm on Friday. It continues to 7am on Sunday and will be at its regular home of Theo Marais Park in Cape Town. There’s plenty on the agenda with entry being R250 at the door. Additional information can be found on the event page.
- MHC World in Pretoria are hosting a FIFA 18 tournament from 9am on Saturday (23 June). The tournament forms part of a multi-weekend series. There is a R100 entry fee vouchers and a PS4 Pro up for grabs. Head to the event page for more.
- Orena are hosting their Winter Mayhem BYOC LAN from 5pm on Saturday. Tickets range from R155 each and the event runs until 5pm on Sunday. Competitions include Fortnite, PUBG and more. Orena is situated in Emperors Palace in Kempton Park. Additional event details can be found here.
- MSSA have both a test match (against Namibia) and the Free State Championships on from Saturday. The Free State provincial championship will be in Sasolburg, while the test match featuring FIFA and Tekken will be streamed online. Head to the MSSA Facebook page for additional information.
- The Uitenhage/Despatch Tech Fest hits the Eastern Cape this weekend. From 10am on Saturday until 5pm, you can expect gaming, stalls and more for your R20 entry fee. The venue for the event is the Uitenhage Danskraal. Head to the event page for more.
- Gerrit Maritz High School is hosting their quarterly LAN from 10am on Saturday. Tickets for gamers cost R200, while spectators are R50. the school is situated in Pretoria, and the event page can be found here.
- Zimbabwe Mind Sports Union have a FIFA 18 tournament on Saturday from 10am. The tournament features a cash prize pool and will be hosted in Beitbridge. For additional information, we suggest you head here.
- Make Games SA is hosting a Cape Town community evening on Wednesday 27 June. Come meet people making and talking about games from 6:30pm at the Bandwidth Barn in Woodstock. Entry is free with details are available here.
- Next weekend sees a variety of events around the country, including Rush, ICON, Comic Ex and more. Hit our calendar for more.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 29 June to 1 July 2018: Rush
- 29 June to 1 July 2018: ICON
- 12 to 15 July 2018: LanX 2018
- 27 to 29 July 2018: EGE
- 14 to 16 September 2018: Comic Con Africa
- 5 to 7 October 2018: rAge
Competitions & Giveaways
- NAG: Win tickets to Rush 2018!
- Raru: Enter the Raru E3 2018 Video Games Poll to WIN Amazing Gaming Prizes. Ends 22 June 2018
- SA Gamer: FRE3 Games Vrydag – E3 2018
ComicEx is an upcoming geek and gaming event being hosted at GrandWest in Cape Town on 30 June and 1 July. Generally, details of activities are a little slim but a Tekken 7 tournament has been announced for 30 June (from 11am) at the event.
There is a cash prize pool of R2,000 up for grabs and the event itself has a cover charge of R100 for a day pass and R150 for a weekend pass.
The event itself says (via its event page) that can “expect gaming, cosplay, merchandising and comic book stalls, pop up movies, ComicEx Idols, LARP, live band, Igloo dance zone, magicians, hypnotists, music, photo-booths and so much more. We also have some awesome competitions and prize giveaways.” The cosplay features a competition and there is an idols competition too.
PlayStation South Africa has confirmed the arrival of the new wave of the PlayStation Essentials range, now known as PlayStation Hits.
PlayStation Hits is a “selection of incredible PlayStation 4 (PS4) games” available at “a great price.” The first wave arrives on 18 July 2018 and will be available for a RRP of R349,99. PlayStation Hits will see more games added to the range in the future.
The first batch of games will include: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End | LittleBigPlanet™ 3 | DRIVECLUB™ | Ratchet &Clank™ | Killzone™ Shadow Fall | Bloodborne | inFAMOUS: Second Son™ | The Last of Us™ Remastered | Project CARS™ | Dragon Ball® XENOVERSE | DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition | Watch_Dogs | Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™ | Rayman® Legends | Mortal Kombat X | Batman™: Arkham Knight | Middle-Earth™: Shadow of Mordor™ | Need For Speed™ | Need For Speed™ Rivals | EA SPORTS™ UFC® 2 | Yakuza 0 | Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow Of New Despair | DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
[via Press Release]
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.