South Africa, we’re into the fifth month of the year already. Time does fly when you’re planning for the zombie apocalypse. May also happens to be our birthday month and 2018 marks nine years since we took over from the original zombie of the site. We hope to celebrate it all somehow.
This weekend is big for FIFA fans with the VS Gaming FIFA eWorld Cup Qualifiers happening and offering one of the largest paydays for a player in South African esports.
Meanwhile, catch up with news you may have missed elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: Locally developed Jengo to get a Nintendo Switch version
- Zombiegamer: rAge 2018 tickets on sale 1 May
- Esports Central: Interviewing Anthrax about the Mettlestate Valkyrie Challenge
- Esports Central: Hunter steps down from eXdee Gaming Dota 2
- Esports Central: ESEA announcement a significant setback for Bravado Gaming?
- Esports Central: The State of Overwatch in ZA
- Critical Hit: FanCon 2018 – Cape Town’s comic book convention delivers again
- Game Nation: Thinking about being an esports caster? Here are tips
- Game Nation: Robot Wizard Announce Plans for Jengo on Nintendo Switch
- Gearburn: Cape Town’s FanCon 2018: A brief recap
- GLHF: FIFA: The People’s Esport
- MWEB GameZone: South African developed Organosphere hits Steam Early Access
- Red Bull: Julio “Beast” Bianchi – SA’s next big FIFA star
- Red Bull: Call of Duty DLC: The debate rages on in South Africa
ACGL have a number of online tournaments happening over this weekend, including Fortnite, Call of Duty, Rocket League and more. All the necessary details and registration pages are available here. Registrations are open for May’s ‘Minor LANs’ for FIFA 18, Injustice 2 and Call of Duty.
A tantalising weekend lies ahead. Especially if FIFA is your thing:
- Xbox Playdates ZA have (still) not announced their May play dates yet, but we suspect they will be every Wednesday from 8pm and selected Fridays from 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates for Xbox One players.
- Mettlestate is hosting the ROG Valkyrie League for CS:GO currently. You can catch two matches a week from the tournament every Wednesday from 7pm until 30 May. Tune in to the action here.
- The Star Wars Themed LAN is happening at the Callie Human Centre of the University of Free State from Friday 4 May until Sunday (6 May). FIFA 18, Dota 2 and CS:GO feature as competitive titles with cash and products up for grabs. Entry costs R50 or R100 per person depending on what you want to compete in. You can join the Facebook group for more information.
- Cold Fusion LAN returns for their May LAN event to Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park. The LAN starts at 6pm on Friday and runs until 11am on Sunday. Entry is R100 per person and there will be various competitions and prizes. There’s more information on the event page.
- The VS Gaming Festival – featuring the FIFA eWorld Cup Qualifiers – kicks off from early morning on Saturday (5 May) at Montecasino. On the agenda is over 1,000 players competing for over R1,5 million in cash and spots in the eWorld Cup Playoffs. There are also a bunch of celebrities but that’s not the important thing right? For more on the event, head here. If you can’t make it, you can watch the action on the live stream.
- Free Comic Book Day is happening at Readers Den in Claremont, Cape Town from 10am (and Tyger Valley from 9am) on Saturday. For additional details, you can head over to the event page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 19 to 20 May 2018: GeekFest
- 29 June to 1 July 2018: Rush
- 27 to 29 July 2018: EGE
- 14 to 16 September 2018: Comic Con Africa
- 5 to 7 October 2018: rAge
Competitions & Giveaways
Goliath Gaming has signed a FIFA player. Julio ‘Beast’ Bianchi has joined the MGO as their representative at this weekend’s VS Gaming eWorld Cup Qualifiers, where he will be battling for the cash, the fame and the chance to head overseas. No pressure then.
A big “WELCOME TO THE GOLIATH GAMING FAMILY” @juliobeastbianchi! Our first FIFA player signed to GG. Really awesome…
Uitenhage / Despatch Tech Fest
Additional details can be expected before the event happens on 23 June in Uitenhage.
It is with great pleasure to announce our very own tech fest.Danskraal Despatch exchange Omania gaming And Plan G presents…..
Nibble Esports have announced that they are searching for content generators (across various mediums) for Nibble TV.
Nibble Esports is looking for some unique, creative and motivated gaming enthusiasts for NiBBLE TV. We are recruiting…
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.