2018 is now in full swing. We’re heading to UCON this weekend with our sister organisation ACGL, but there is plenty more happening elsewhere in the country this week. Read on to find out more, and to find out what you may have missed elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: World Electronic Sports Games Dota2 Southern Africa Qualifiers: Preview
- ACGL: AfrEsports | Call of Duty Team Passes now available
- ACGL: Shop Opens: CC, Minor LANs and More
- ACGL: MGMS Qualifier 2 Results
- Game Nation: Bravado’s Project Destiny and International Success
- IGN Africa: Esports Spotlight for 23rd January 2018
- Kwese Gamer: SA’s Bravado to play CSGO in the US for a year
- Kwese Gamer: For the first time, Zimbabwe will send player to FIFA eWorld Cup
- MWEB GameZone: MGMS Qualifier 2 Results: EXDEE soar to the top
- MWEB GameZone: Everything you need to know about the AfrEsports LAN at Grand West, Cape Town
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 75 – Shocking Tech Stories
- Red Bull: Esports: How do we get more South Africans competing Internationally?
- Red Bull: Why is no one playing Quake Champions in South Africa?
- SA Gamer: Cape Town’s mightiest warriors can gather for a Dragon Ball FighterZ launch tournament
ACGL are have a number of online tournaments this weekend for Call of Duty, Rocket League and Injustice 2. Details and registrations for the tournaments can be found here.
Otherwise, get prepared for the following happening this weekend and beyond:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are back into their regular (new) schedule of every Wednesday from 8pm and selected Fridays from 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 24th – Forza Motorsport 7
- 31st – Call of Duty WWII
- Global Game Jam is on from Friday (26 January) until Sunday (28 January). Johannesburg, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth will play host to the ” hackathon focused on game development.” Details can be found here.
- Timeline E-Sport Center is hosting their “BYOC Open Lan with DOTA2 mini competition!” on Saturday (27 January) from 8am to 5pm. Tickets are R100 per person. Head to the event page for more.
- MSSA sees the Fezile Dabi Regional Championships on Saturday in Sasolburg. Fighting titles are the order of the day. We would suggest heading to their Facebook page and asking for more information, as that’s all we have.
- UCON 2018 is on Saturday and Sunday at UCT. The comics, anime, gaming and geek event features the gaming by us and ACGL. R60 gets you in for a day and R90 secures you a weekend pass. We have plenty of giveaways on hand thanks to Apex Interactive and Ster Kinekor Entertainment.
- Kosta Games is hosting a FIFA 18 tournament from 12pm on Saturday. Entry is R180 per person and there is R3,000 in cash up for grabs. The tournament will be hosted at Platinum Lounge, Johannesburg. Additional details are available here.
- Coffee on Cape in Port Elizabeth is hosting a BYO PC Gaming LAN. The event starts at 3pm on Saturday, and… that’s about all the event page gives up.
- WESG African qualifiers for Dota 2 and Hearthstone are this weekend. Expect streams over the weekend, so keep your eye on social media. Details can be found here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 2 to 4 February 2018: GAC LAN
- 3 February 2018: ACGL Minor LANs
- 24 to 25 February 2018: AfrEsports
- 28 to 29 April 2018: FanCon
- 27 to 29 July 2018: EGE
Bravado Gaming secured the Southern African qualifier spot for WESG CS:GO, while Drager did the same for StarCraft II. The two title qualifiers will be heading to China later in the year to play for a rather hefty cash prize pool of well over $3 million.
This weekend teams and players play for the Dota 2 and Hearthstone spots. You can find out more about the Dota 2 specifically here.
GGWP to all the teams that competed in the #CSGO and #Starcraft2 Southern African Qualifiers for #WESG 2018. Bravado…
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.