The year has only just got rolling and there have already been some intriguing announcements from the local esports scene. Bravado Gaming have announced their plans to head to the USA for a year and ACGL have plenty of tournament and LAN action planned. Read more about it all below.
In the meanwhile, here are a few articles you may have missed:
- Zombiegamer: PUBG in South Africa
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Jason van Niekerk
- ACGL: Announcing #AfrEsports at Grand West
- ACGL: Minor LAN Program
- ACGL: Play, Win, Rank and Shop
- Game Nation: Gaming Forum 2018 – Where the gaming industry meets
- IGN Africa: Valkyries Rising
- Kwese ESPN: SA Hearthstone player places 4th at WESG
- MWEB GameZone: Dota 2: The 2017 Collector’s Aegis of Champions finally being shipped to South Africa
- NAG: Podcast: Mini-Episode 74 – Nostalgia Lane
ACGL are hosting a number of online tournaments this weekend for Call of Duty, Rocket League, FIFA and Injustice 2, as well as reaching the conclusion of the second qualifier for the MGMS Rocket League on Sunday 21 January 2018. The matches in the MGMS tournament will be streamed live on YouTube from 5pm. Details and registrations for the tournaments can be found here.
The there is the following happening this weekend:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are back into their regular (new) schedule of every Wednesday from 8pm and selected Fridays from 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 19th – F1 2017 (Off Season)
- 24th – Forza Motorsport 7
- 31st – Call of Duty WWII
- Orena is hosting PUBG scrim sessions from this Thursday at 7pm. Selected matches will be streamed on Twitch. Details are available here.
- FIFA 17 gets a run in Johannesburg South on Saturday (20 January). Details are a little thin but entry is R100 and we’d suggest contacting the organisers listed on the poster here.
- The Nexus in Gauteng are hosting a Hearthstone Fireside Gathering on Saturday from 10am. The entry fee is R50 for the tournament but entry is free to the venue and the event itself. Additional details can be found on the event page.
- WESG African qualifiers kick off this weekend. Expect streams over the weekend, so keep your eye on social media. Details can be found here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
Our sister organisation has gone on an announcement spree this past week.
On the agenda has been updates to the online component which sees the introduction of credits, cash prizes, an online shop and a seasonal ranking system.
Two LAN announcements were also made, the first being focused on smaller multi-city events and the other on the first of their majors, AfrEsports.
Hit the links below for more on each announcement:
Bravado Gaming have announced their plans to head to the USA to compete in CS:GO for the next 12 months.
This move will see the full compliment of six players heading over to “raise awareness of the talent and skill found amongst our local gamers and bring not only investment and popularity to our community, but also to provide greater opportunities for all of the gamers in South Africa, opportunities that I could never have imagined being possible.”
The MGO will be announcing an Academy Team that will be their local representatives for South African competitions.
Project Destiny: Our #CSGO team is heading over to the USA! #bvdgaming Read More:…
xTc Esports have announced the addition of their first FIFA player – Brandon Nell aka Cryptic (CrypticVortex72). Brandon finished second in the 2017 VS Gaming eFootball event which featured over 1,000 competitors and a prize pool of R1,5 million.
We're excited to announce that Brandon Nell aka Cryptic (CrypticVortex72) will be joining xTc Esports as part of our…
Madagastar Esports Arena in Ghana will be kicking off their next virtual football tournament bringing together both FIFA 18 and PES 2018. The series starts on 10 February and continues to 7 April.
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war From here begins the battle Register now
ACGL Top 5 | December
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.