Welcome to the first South African Gaming News Wrap of 2018. We hope you all had a great festive season and are raring to go, as we suspect it is going to be a busy year.
To start with, we’ve announced our UCON plans which include Call of Duty, FIFA and the Ultimate Gamer. Over on ACGL, this weekend sees the conclusion of the Christmas Noobhunt and the start of leg two of the MGMS Rocket League. It should also be noted that registrations for the WESG African qualifiers close on 16 January, while registrations are open for the Ballistix Masters.
Then, on to a few things you may have missed elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: UCON 2018 | Call of Duty, FIFA 18 and Ultimate Gamer
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Xtreme Vision Gaming [SA MGO]
- Zombiegamer: WESG 2017 | African registrations are now open
- Zombiegamer: 5050 Esports have a new co-owner
- ACGL: UCON 2018 | Call of Duty, FIFA 18 and Ultimate Gamer
- ACGL: Top 5 Plays | December
- ACGL: What We Did in 2017
- Exdee Gaming: Rocket League comes to EXDEE
- Game Nation: Mettlestate To Host The WESG Southern African Qualifiers
- IGN Africa: Esports Spotlight for 9th January 2018
- MWEB GameZone: We interview Africa’s top all-female CS: GO team
- NAG: Podcast: Mini-Episode 73 – NAG Podcast The Musical
- NAG: Podcast: Mini-Episode 72 – Car Rant Origin Story
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 71 – The Annual Scatter
- Orena: PUBG South Africa – Orena “Scrim Sessions”
- Red Bull: How to start competing in South African esports in 2018
- RLX: 2017 Year in Review: South African Rocket League
The there is the following happening this weekend:
- Xbox Playdates ZA kick off their 2018 series of playdates with Titanfall 2 on the 17th and then starts a new regular schedule of every Wednesday from 8pm and selected Fridays from 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 17th – Titanfall 2
- 19th – F1 2017 (Off Season)
- 24th – Forza Motorsport 7
- 31st – Call of Duty WWII
- Welkom LAN starts at 10am on Friday (12 January) and runs until 12pm on Saturday. Tickets are R100 pre-booked and R120 at the door, and the LAN will be hosted at the NG Kerk Moeder Gemeente in Welkom. Contact information can be found here.
- Despatch LAN in the Eastern Cape is scheduled for Friday from 5pm and will run until 9am on Saturday. There is an entry fee of R40 and will be at the Methodist Church in Despatch. Details are available here.
- ACE LAN is a Call of Duty WWII event for those in Gauteng this Saturday. 20 teams have signed up already and there is a prize pool of R10,000 up for grabs. Matches start at 10am at the venue in Sandton. Additional information can be found here.
- The Johannesburg Fighting Game Meetup takes place at the Nexus on Saturday from 10am. Street Fighter, Marvel Vs Capcom, Tekken, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue and more are on the agenda for both ‘beginners and advanced players’. Entry is R25 and interested attendees can find out more here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
GameNation have announced Gaming Forum 2018 which is aimed to “unite representatives from the local gaming scene to share insight and advice”. We’re assuming zombies don’t count then…
Speakers at the 28 March event include Pippa Tshabalala, Marco Cocomello (MWEB GameZone), Sam “Tech Girl” Wright, Barry “Anthrax” Louzada (Mettlestate) and more.
Tickets for those wishing to attend cost R375, with event scheduled for 28 March 2018 at The Mesh Club in Rosebank.
Full details are available on the official website.
Mettlestate have “finally” (their very own words) announced the winner of their 2017 CASTAR competition. The winner is CS:GO shoutcaster ISO_Wolf who is expected to be at “the next Mettlestate major.” Our congratulations to him for securing the top spot.
We can finally announce our 2017 CASTAR winner. Congratulations to new shoutcaster ISO_Wolf. Expect great things from this guy and you'll hear him at the next Mettlestate major. GGWP!
Posted by Mettlestate on Wednesday, 10 January 2018
Orena has announced their PUBG ‘Scrim Sessions’ which will be hosted every Thursday from 7pm. Interested players can find out more here.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.