If you’re here for the wrap of the local gaming news, then you’re in the right place. If you came here for a food wrap, we’re sorry to disappoint you.
Here’s a few things you may have missed elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: PlayStation SA reveals Black Friday specials
- Aperture Gaming: Talent
- Critical Hit: Women and general African qualifiers for WESG announced
- Early Axes: State of gaming in SA
- GLHF: Alpha Star Gaming – Lighting The Way
- IGN Africa: Esports Wrap-Up for 13th November
- Mega8: The South African DOTA Diary: Dealing with change
- Mega8: Results Wrap: The Pro 16 Dota 2 League round four
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 65 – Anthrax
Our sister organisation, ACGL, has a number of online tournaments planned for Rocket League, Call of Duty and Overwatch. You can find out more on their tournament page.
It’s almost tumbleweed this weekend, but the upcoming weekends are looking pretty packed (check here for more):
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting their playdates series throughout November. The Thursday evening events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 16th – Rainbow 6 Siege
- 23rd – Rocket League
- 24th – F1 2016 (Abu Dhabi)
- 30th – Ghost Recon Wildlands Ghost War
- Mettlestate present Join The Legion on Saturday (18 November) at the Evetech Gauteng offices. On the agenda is a Dota 2 show match, Lenovo’s new laptops and food. Spectator spots are (probably) filled already but you can catch the action live on stream from 1pm.
- There’s a FIFA 18 tournament at The Vapery Cape Town on Saturday from 1pm. Entry is R10 and there will be products up for grabs. So we guess head on over if you partake in vaping. Details can be found here.
- The Mega8 Esports Dota 2 Pro League continues this weekend. For game and stream details keep an eye on their Facebook page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
Rocket League has added South African servers! It’s all very exciting because players are reporting sub 30MS pings and short waiting times. So if you don’t have the soccar [sic because we made it up – Undead Ed] game, grab it now and get playing.
Bonuses coming with today's update:
?? A brand new server region in South Africa (SAF)
?? A brand new server region hosted in Singapore (ASM)
?? ASC servers are now hosted in Taiwan
?? Added more servers in Japan pic.twitter.com/TUmRWvEiLL
— Rocket League (@RocketLeague) November 9, 2017
- Critical Hit: South Africa finally gets local Rocket League servers
- MWEB GameZone: Rocket League South African Servers Go Live Today
- NAG: Rocket League update brings local servers for South African gamers at last
Cougar Gaming has announced a new streaming partner in South African YouTuber Kyle ‘Pacman10154’ Swart. We have a feature coming up very soon on the ‘hero everybody needs’, so remember to check back again.
So its time for fun, laughter and congratulations? We are excited to announce @PaCmAn10154 as our @COUGAROFFICIAL partner! Join him as he streams at 2pm today https://t.co/zE7mTstThB ? Lets go big boi!!! pic.twitter.com/HQHKVRqDIN
— ?????? ?????? ?? (@CougarGamingSA) November 10, 2017
The MSSA’s South African esports team have returned from Busan, South Korea and the IeSF World Championships with a 12th placing overall out of the 28 countries participating. The team generally struggled against their opposition with only the Tekken competitor making is past the group phase. It is all good though [MSSA Press Release]:
Mind Sports South Africa (MSSA) has always prided itself on its rankings earned at IESF World Championships.
MSSA 2017 BOO! Protea Esports Team is no exception having given it their all while facing extremely tough competition.
As usual, the standard of esports rises from year to year.
Therefore it is not an option to remain constant as to do so actually shows a decline in standard.
With every country pushing the envelope from a year-to-year basis, MSSA has had to continually up its game in order to produce better teams.
In 2016, South Africa slumped to be ranked 14th in the world from its 2015 ranking of 12th.
Through reviewing its systems and promoting an even greater degree of competitiveness, the teams representing South Africa have pushed South Africa back up to be ranked 12th in the world.
The improved rankings show the increased South African standard, and MSSA intends to build on its successes in 2017 to push further up the international rankings at IESF’s 10th World Championships.
You can find out more about the IeSF Championships here.
Glitched Episode 3:Call of Duty: WWII South African Launch, Need for Speed review + 10 games of 2018
by MWEB GAMEZONE
Looking Back with Sonic
CS:GO Deeper with Aperture PC Ep10 (Profeci & Kazamir)
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.