Yay. Another week has flown by. It’s only exciting because it means another SA Gaming News Wrap. Although, maybe that’s not really that exciting actually.
Here are a few articles you may have missed previously (and elsewhere):
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Lithium
- Zombiegamer: Join the [Mettlestate] Legion
- Zombiegamer: [Photos] Playstation Free-For-All Soccer Tournament at MWEB GameZone
- Critical Hit: Evetech and Mettlestate invite Dota 2 players to #JoinTheLegion
- Dexerto: South African CoD Player Reveals Disappointment at Missing Out on the CWL for 2018
- GLHF: Gaming House Life With Schlinks
- Kwesé Gamer: Mettlestate wants amateur Dota 2 players for new, once-off tournament
- Mega8: Results Wrap: The Pro 16 Dota 2 League round two
- Mega8: Meet South Africa’s eSports stars – Dylan Ainsworth
- MWEB GameZone: Watch Glitched episode 2 right here: Two competitions, reviews and more
- MWEB GameZone: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti South African pre-order pricing revealed
- NAG: I went to Canal Walk’s Gaming Expo and it was surprisingly cool
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 63 – Ronny Nose
- Red Bull: Why Bravado will be back
- Vector Esports: The 5-Step Plan
A few events that may be of interest to you this coming weekend:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting their playdates series throughout November. The Thursday evening events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 2nd – Fortnite Battle Royale
- 9th – Trackmania Turbo
- 10th – F1 2016 (Brazil)
- 16th – Rainbow 6 Siege
- 23rd – Rocket League
- 24th – F1 2016 (Abu Dhabi)
- 30th – Ghost Recon Wildlands Ghost War
- Cold Fusion LAN is on from 6pm on Friday (3 November) until 11am on Sunday (5 November). The LAN is at Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park and costs R100 per person with Call of Duty, Dota, Rainbow Six and more on the agenda. Full details can be found on the event page.
- Call of Duty: WWII launches Friday and there are launch parties in Cape Town and Johannesburg. The Cape Town event is brought to you by ACGL and MWEB GameZone, while the Johannesburg event is being hosted by Mettlestate. Hit the links for details.
- Kosta Games are hosting not one but two FIFA 18 tournaments around Gauteng this weekend:
- The Mega8 Esports Dota 2 Pro League continues this weekend. For game and stream details keep an eye on their Facebook page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
- Kwesé Gamer: Win yourself an esports starter pack!
- MWEB GameZone: Win a copy of South Park: The Fractured But Whole and awesome figurines
- MWEB GameZone: Win a copy of Assassin’s Creed: Origins with Glitched Episode 2
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Assassin’s Creed Origins Bundle (XBO)
Sales & Discounts
This past weekend (and slightly before that for that matter), Canal Walk played host to their now annual gaming expo. Cosplay, new game releases, demos, specials and more were on the agenda, but the event which may be of most interest to our readers was the FIFA 18 tournament.
Played over three days and with a cash prize pool over R18,000 and products, the tournament drew in well over 200 players eager to lay claim to the top spot. Friday and Saturday were qualifying days with the top 32 players from each brought back together on Sunday for a double elimination playoff to determine the rightful winner.
It took nearly 300 matches, plenty of goals and a thrilling 2-leg final to determine the winner, which was 2015’s champion, Mubeen Gaffoor.
- 1st Place: Mubeen Gaffoor | R10,000 cash + PS4 Pro
- 2nd Place: Ryan Bastos | R5,000 cash + GT Sport
- 3rd Place: Darren Adams | R3,000 cash + GT Sport
— Mettlestate (@Mettlestate) November 2, 2017
The Ballistix Masters has announced its plans for 2018, and the tournament will see a shift from a cup format to a league. The league will run for around six months and plans to culminate with a LAN final in July.
The focus will be on the “two main titles” (Battlefield and Dota) and will feature “a bigger prize pool!” CS: GO will also get a run as part of the Ballistix Masters but will only run online for two months.
Registrations for all three titles will open on 1 December and close on 24 January 2018. The tournament action kicks off on 1 February and will continue until July.
For additional information, head here.
Glitched Episode 2 – Gigabyte Aero 15X Benchmark, Mario Odyssey Review and more
by MWEB GAMEZONE
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.