Yet another week of SA gaming is disappearing in the rear view mirror and we’re on hand again to wrap it all up for you.
Here are a few articles you may have missed elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Zaffageek
- Zombiegamer: Mega8 Pro16 Dota2 League & Mega8 Summer Cup
- Critical Hit: ESL Hearthstone African Championship secured by South Africa and Algeria
- Critical Hit: Samantha “Tech Girl” Wright joins the ESL Africa broadcast team
- Critical Hit: Top four revealed for CS:GO ESL African Championship
- Game Arena: Opinion: The MSSA – Support System Or Toxic Teammate?
- GLHF: Going Pro with ShazZ
- Kwesé Gamer: Algeria, SA book two spots in Hearthstone final at rAge
- Kwesé Gamer: Here are the ESL African Championship grand finalists
- Mega8: Meet South Africa’s eSports stars – Tristan Kiefer
- Mega8: Get ready for Mega8’s The Pro 16 Dota 2 League!
- MWEB GameZone: The rAge 2017 Expo – The battleground for the ESL African Championship finals
- MWEB GameZone: Skadonk Showdown is a SA-themed arcade racer that you can play for free
- NAG: NAG LAN BYOC PUBG tournament
- NAG: Over R500,000 up for the win in VS Gaming’s CS:GO Masters tournament at rAge
- Red Bull: Forza eSports is on the rise in South Africa
- Tech Girl: The Survival Guide to rAge Expo and the #AGalaxyofGeek
ACGL have some online tournaments this weekend for Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, FIFA 17 and Injustice 2. Details can be found here. There will also be another round of tournaments from next week, so bee sure to check in via the link.
There’s a couple of other activities happening this weekend around the country. And when we say ‘around’, we mean mainly in the north:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting their playdates series throughout September. The Thursday evening events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 28th – Gears of War 4
- 29th – F1 2016
- Fragcon is hosting a ‘Mega LAN’ at HTS Tom Naude in Polokwane starting Friday 29 September at 4pm. The LAN (which is the first Polokwane regional e-Sports Chamionship) will feature both PC and console competitions and will run until Sunday 1 October. You can find out more here.
- Regenesys Gaming Club and Regenesys Business School are hosting their September LAN which starts 5pm on Friday and runs until 12pm on Saturday. Entry is R100 per person and the event will be held at 4 Pybus Ave in Sandton. Additional information can be found on the event page.
- Cold Fusion LAN is kicking off from 6pm on Friday and runs until 10am on Sunday. The LAN is being held at its regular venue of Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park. The entry fee is R100 per person. Head to the event page for more details.
- Ekasi Esports are hosting their first Soweto LAN at the Dube Boxing Club. The FIFA 17 and Modern Warfare 3 event will start at 7pm on Friday and run until 5pm the next day. Entryto the event is free. There is additional information available on the event page.
- Ace Gaming is hosting their third and final Call of Duty Infinite Warfare LAN on Saturday 30 September from 9am. The event is being hosted in Sandton and additional information can be found here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- 27 to 29 July 2018: EGE
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- NAG: WIN: one of five sets of double tickets to rAge 2017
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag: Destiny 2 (PS4)
The VS Gaming CS:GO Masters finals are primed for main floor at rAge this year, and with over R500,000 up for grabs it should be a humdinger of a weekend. Eight teams will enter and only one will secure the crown. The tournament will be played out live at the event as well as live on stream with a number of well-known faces on the panel and shoutcaster desk.
Meanwhile in the basement, the VS Gaming Championship will feature Dota 2, CS:GO, Rocket League, League of Legends, Hearthstone, Overwatch and Battlefield. The Championships are – according to the press release – “where the next stars will be found and where the up and comers find their feet in a large-scale tournament.”
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
VS Gaming to crown CS:GO Masters champion at rAge Expo
September 27, 2017 – VS Gaming will be hosting its CS:GO Masters at this year’s rAge Expo in Johannesburg from 6 to 8 October. This year’s tournament will see a host of talent taking part as well as the finest CS:GO teams in South Africa.
“Our CS:GO Masters tournament is where we have always seen the very best of best compete. We are proud of this heritage and we are excited to be able to bring this level of competition to the esports-loving public” says VS Gaming CEO Cambridge Mokanyane. “rAge is a significant partner to VS Gaming and with them we are committed to grow the professional side of esports in South Africa.”
The prize pool for the CS:GO Masters is the following:
- First place – R220,000
- Second place – R99,000
- Third place – R55,000
- Fourth place – R44,000
- Fifth place – R38,500
- Sixth place – R38,500
- Seventh place – R27,500
- Eighth place – R27,500
Spectators will have a lot to look forward to when the matches are played live on stage at the rAge Expo. There will be additional entertainment with Kamohelo Mbatha as the on-stage MC and the panel hosted by Devin “Hellbird” Rigotti, Gregory “Fingers” Robinson and Ryan “Parker” MacQuet.
The shoutcasters will be Kyle “CongoKyle”Wolmarans, Ashton “Golz” Miller, Thulani “toolz” Sishi and Etienne “Recoil” Vorster.
The VS Gaming Championship will also be taking place at the rAge Expo and this year will see teams take part in tournaments such as DOTA2, CS:GO, Rocket League, League of Legends, Hearthstone, Overwatch and Battlefield.
“The VS Gaming Championships is where the next stars will be found and where the up and comers find their feet in a large-scale tournament. This will be an exciting event and now as the headline sponsors, we are excited to be such a large part of it,” concludes Mokanyane.
If you want your esports action more than doubled at rAge then you’re in luck. Kwesé Gamer is hosing the ESL African Championship finals at the expo and with it they will be bringing CS:GO, Hearthstone and Overwatch action along.
With over R2 million up for grabs it’s the big money event of rAge and brings along two international casters to boot.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
Esports to dominate at rAge 2017
The really Awesome gaming expo (rAge) is celebrating its 15th anniversary in 2017, with an expo that will meet and exceed the needs of every fan of geek culture. One of its areas of dominance this year will be esports, where Kwesé Gamer will be hosing the ESL African Championship finals throughout the rAge weekend.
Taking place from 6 October to 8 October at the TicketPro Dome in Johannesburg, this is the first year that Kwesé Gamer will officially have exhibition space – and 500 square metres of it at that.
The ESL arena will host the ESL African Championship finals, where the top two teams from the South African and North African group stages will battle it out to be crowned Africa’s ESL CSGO champion.
With seating for many eager South African esports fans, visitors will be able to watch all the live action on big screens in front of the stage.
Kwesé will also be bringing two well-known international casters to rAge: Lauren ‘Pansy’ Scott and Jason ‘Moses’ O’Toole. World-renowned in the international esports scene, the two will lend their casting abilities and trademark style to the talent deck of the grand finale, alongside a host of local commentators, panelists and analysts.
‘Pansy’ is a 27-year-old British nationalist, contracted to ESL, who has been involved in esports for over 10 years, while ‘Moses’ started his professional career at the very young age of 16, playing for United 5 in North America. Their attendance at rAge is much-anticipated and shows just how successfully esports is taking off in South Africa.
For those who have been bitten by the esports bug, Kwesé Gamer will also host a Hearthstone Fireside Gathering on Saturday 7 October at rAge, where the top three players on the day will go head-to-head to win their share of R10?000.
As an added bonus for esports fans, Kwesé Gamer will also host an Overwatch competition. Blizzard’s team-based shooter recently announced a new one-versus-one mode, and Kwesé Gamer will give players an opportunity to try out the mode while also competing for various prizes.
For more information on rAge, please visit rAge expo.
|Dates:||6 October – 8 October 2017|
|Show times:||Friday: 10:00-18:00 | Saturday: 09:00-18:00 | Sunday: 09:00-16:00|
|Day ticket:||R120 per person (tickets available at the door or via TicketPro outlets)|
|Weekend ticket:||R300 per person (tickets available at the door or via TicketPro outlets)|
|Kids under 6:||Free|
|Venue:||Ticketpro Dome | Cnr Olievenhout Avenue and Northumberland Road | Northriding, Johannesburg | GPS: 26 03’48.39”S / 27 56’35.54”E|
Apex Interactive are promising plenty of new products at rAge this year. Attendees will be able to check out the Turtle Beach Stealth 600P and 600X for PS4, the Razer Mercury range, as well as Atheris, Basilisk, PS4 Thresher Ultimate and PS4 Panthera Fighting Stick from Razer. Gioteck will also make an appearance with the Tactical Range 2k17.
There will also be a number of the promotions over the weekend which will include the following:
- Razer Blackwidow V2 Keyboard Was R2999 – rAge R2699
- Man o War Wireleass headset Was R2899 – rAge R2599
Incredible Connection specials:
- Turtle Beach Stealth 520P Was R2999 – rAge R1499
- Turtle Beach Stealth 420X Was R3499 – rAge R1999
- Razer Kraken Pro Black V2 Was R1299 – rAge R1199
- Razer Naga Hex V2 Was R1399 – rAge R1199
- Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma Was R2499 – rAge R1899
- Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mechanical Keyboard Was R1899 – rAge R1299
BT Games Promotions:
- Razer Kraken 7.1 V2 Was R1699 – rAge R1549
- Razer Deathstalker Chroma Was R1999 – rAge R1499
- Razer Naga Chroma Was R1399 – rAge R1199
- Razer Naga Epic Chroma Was R2199 – rAge R1999
- Lancehead Tournament Was R1399 – rAge R1199
- Blackwidow Tournamend Edition Mechanical keyboard Was R1399 – rAge R999
- Kraken 7.1 Chroma Was R1699 – rAge R1199
- Blackwidow Chroma Was R2999 – rAge R2499
- Razer Leviathan Mini Speaker Was R2899 – rAge – R1999
- Razer Cynosa Bundle Was R1399 – rAge R1199
On top of the specials, you will also receive a free mousepad or Razer Leet pack when purchasing on of the above Razer items.
And the giving away doesn’t stop there. Giveaways will be held at the Apex Interactive stand as well as via a number of ‘influencers’ and brand ambassadors including Chani_ZA, Constantine104 and Tech Girl.
Orena is hosting a PUBG tournament in the NAG LAN at rAge. There are only 200 spots and the tournament will host both a solo and duo leg. Details and registrations can be found here.
Syntech is giving away R60,000 in cash over the rAge weekend. Six different winners will win R10,000 each with R20,000 is given away per day. Of course, now you just care how you can secure your share of the loot, and who are we to block you from that information.
- Look for our Competition Brochure in the rAge Goodie Bag
- Visit the Matrix stand (No. 2) or the Titan Ice stand (No. 18) at rAge
- Simply Buy any Redragon, Crucial or Ballistix product
- Strike a pose and share a selfie (holding and showing your product) to our Facebook Page (@Syntech.co.za)
- Tag us and use #rAgeExpo2017 and either #Redragon or #Crucial and #Ballistix
- Two winners will be announced daily, one for Redragon and one for Crucial/Ballistix
- The announcements will take place daily at the GES GAMING – Cosplay Stage Arena (Stand 67) and the times for each announcement will be:
- Friday – 16h00 – 16h15
- Saturday – 16h00 – 16h15
- Sunday – 13:30 – 13:45
- Each winner will walk away with R10 000 in cash (T’s & Cs apply)
This past weekend our Dota squad competed in The Perfect World Masters Open Qualifier. They won their first game which…
CS:GO Deeper with Aperture PC Ep4 (BurningRed, Christin & Profeci)
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.