Welcome to another edition of our SA Gaming News Wrap. If you missed the local gaming news from the week, want to know what’s happening near you or just wondered in by mistake, then there should be something for you here.
The news you may have missed previously:
- Zombiegamer: [Photos] Stelcon 2017
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: NiBBLe eSports [SA MGO]
- Zombiegamer: New MGO Alpha Star Gaming picks up HiVe Gaming DotA2 Roster
- Zombiegamer: A Who’s Who Guide to Navigating South African CS:GO
- Critical Hit: Orena announce PUBG tournament which filled up in 6 hours
- GLHF: Winners and Losers in the South African Dota Shuffle
- HTXT: A MAZE. / Johannesburg 2017 returns this month
- MWEB GameZone: MWEB hosts two major MSSA international matches
- MWEB GameZone: The Con.ect 2017 experience: A smooth and amazing ride
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 56 – This Message is Prerecorded
- Nexus: The Nexus is Hosting a PUBG Tournament
- Orena: #OrenaPUBG – Full Tournament Details
- Orena: Down the Rabbit Hole: First Look at the WRG House
- Red Bull: Two South African Dota 2 teams to watch out for
- SA Gamer: Welcome Nintendo Switch Pop Up Zone, South Africa’s own Nintendo World
- SA Gamer: Semblance is the first South African-developed game heading to the Switch
There’s some regular CS:GO and Hearthstone action happening with season two of the ESL African Championships. We suggest hitting the ESL Africa Facebook page for stream details.
Kosta Games concludes their third season of the Xbox One FIFA 17 season this weekend.
There’s quite a few other activities happening this weekend around the country:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting their playdates series throughout September. The Thursday evening events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 14th – Titanfall 2
- 15th – F1 2016
- 21st – Battlefield 1
- 28th – Gears of War 4
- 29th – F1 2016
- On 9 September, the MSSA Protea esports team will take on Switzerland in an official Test match series featuring CS:GO, League of Legends and Tekken 7. The best place for match schedules and other details is here.
On 16 September, the Protea esports team takes on Tunisia in League of Legends.
Sticking with the MSSA, the City of Johannesburg Regional Championships is scheduled for this weekend (9 and 10 September). It kicks off at 9am at Old Edwardians with FIFA being the main esports title. Interested parties should check Facebook for more.
- The Nexus in Gauteng is hosting a PUBG tournament on Saturday from 10am. Details can be found here.
- FIFA 17 sees some of its last tournament action with an event at Stones Mellville on Sunday (10 September). R150 gets you playing for the ‘up to R2,000’ cash prize with the action starting at 1pm. Additional information is available here.
- Weekly Level Up return with the ‘Reverse Sweep’ event. Admission is free at Obz Armchair Pub from 1pm Sunday and on the agenda is Hearthstone, fighting games, PUBG and more. Hit the event page for more.
- A Maze. Johannesburg kicks off on 13 September and runs until 16 September. Thee celebration of gaming, media and more will be hosted in the Tshimologong Precinct. Details are available here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- 27 to 29 July 2018: EGE
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- Critical Hit: We’re giving away a Destiny 2 Limited Edition and we want you to win it
- MWEB GameZone: Win the Destiny 2 Collector’s Edition and tickets to the South African launch event
- NAG: It’s rAge’s 15th birthday! To celebrate, we’re giving away our biggest prize ever
- Raru: Ark Survival Evolved (Xbox One) Game + Promo Bundle
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag: It’s a double whammy with Ark Survival Evolved and F1 2017
Sales & Discounts
Mythic Gaming have called it a day. One of South Africa’s Cinderella story MGOs have decided that recent team shake-ups could just not be overcome in the foreseeable future, leading to the decision to call it a day. For now at least.
The organisation has only existed for around a year but during that time, they made a fair few fans. Whether the closing of the organisation is indicative of a larger problem in the local esports scene (the struggle for commitment and sponsors) is unknown, but it is always sad to see this sort of thing happen.
To read the full announcement by MGO owner Nicholas Kuhn (aka PHAZED), head here.
HERE WE GO! The #RoadToPro final is next weekend – 16 September at Matrix Warehouse in Alberton, Johannesburg. We have…
In related news, the top five in the CASTAR competition has been decided and it is now in the hands of the public to decide the top three finalists. To do so, head to the Mettlestate Facebook page and ‘like’ the contestant you, well, like the most.
Ax Out Loud – Sonic & Domsterr: SA’s Two Star Players
WRG Gaming House Interviews: SwiTch, Castaway & Odu
White Rabbit Esports Gaming House Tour
by Sam Wright
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.