Sorry. Real life has been getting in the way of our undead life meaning we skipped another week of the SA Gaming News Wrap. We’re bad zombies and have been punished accordingly. But back to the business at hand – local gaming and esports news.
- Zombiegamer: eXdee Gaming and Cougar Gaming Announce 2017/2018 Sponsorship
- Zombiegamer: xTc changes three: axtremes talks to Captain xiN
- ACGL: Clan Guide – Part 3: Attracting Sponsorship
- Bravado Gaming: Bravado DOTA2 welcomes all-star lineup
- Critical Hit: New Esports Observer poll weighs Leagues vs. Championships
- GLHF: The Rise Of Sinister 5
- GLHF: Rise Of The Valkyries
- MWEB GameZone: Everything you need to know about the South African Call of Duty: WWII beta weekend
- NAG: Xbox Game Pass in launching in South Africa next month
- Red Bull: How I got my job: The Esports player
- Red Bull: We need more female only tournaments on Esports
If you’re a fan of the game Rocket League, then this new local website is for you. News, tips, upcoming tournaments and more can be found there.
There’s some regular CS:GO and Hearthstone action happening with season two of the ESL African Championships. We suggest hitting the ESL Africa Facebook page for stream details.
There’s a few other activities happening around the country:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting their playdates series in August. Thursday events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 24th – Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
- 25th – F1 2016 (Belgian GP)
- 31st – Forza Horizon 3
- TVR is hosting a ‘gaming day’ in Bloemfontein which is actually better described as a ‘gaming overnight’ event. Admission is free and will start 6pm on Friday (25 August) and run until 11am the next day. Head to the event page for more information.
- Geek Gaming Night is happening in Umhlanga (KZN) this Friday. A LAN (R100) and Hangout (R50) option is available for attendees. The entry fees include drinks and pizza, as well as a goodie bag. Additional information and tickets are available here.
- ACE Gaming is hosting their second Call of Duty LAN event on Saturday (26 August) from 9am in Sandton, Gauteng. The 4v4 PS4 LAN event is a bring your own affair and costs R200 per person with prizes to be “determined by attendance”. Details are generally available via Twitter.
- MSSA has the Western Cape Provincial Championships scheduled for this weekend (Saturday and Sunday 27 August). Details are however unconfirmed, so interested parties should try them on Facebook.
- Join Nick ‘HoldenZA’ Holden and some friends for a livestream of the Call of Duty World War II beta on Saturday. The stream will start at 10am and run until 2pm and will feature giveaways and more.
- Make Games SA are hosting a Cape Town meetup on Wednesday 30 August. Find out more about the local industry and meet some like-minded folk at the Bandwidth Barn from 6:30pm. Additional information is available on the event page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 2 to 3 September 2017: Con.ect
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- Critical Hit: Here’s your chance to win a free copy of StarCraft Remastered
- MWEB GameZone: Win 1 of 2 copies of StarCraft: Remastered
- MWEB GameZone: Win the ultimate gaming mystery box with MWEB GameZone
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag: Starcraft Remastered (PC)
Sales & Discounts
- MWEB GameZone: MWEB GameZone and Takealot.com team up to offer discounts on this year’s biggest games
- Raru: Prey (PS4/Xbox One) & Injustice 2 (PS4/Xbox One) Now only R599
The Valkyrie Challenge 2017 – all female CSGO invitational with Amaryllis Gaming & Energy Esports
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.