That’s it. Another week in the local scene, and barring the promised zombie apocalypse, there should be a few more on the horizon still.
Let’s kick off with a few local articles you may have missed recently:
- Zombiegamer: Valkyrie Challenge – a compelling case for more standalone esports events
- Zombiegamer: LAN added to Con.ect 2017
- ACGL: Top 5 Plays of the Month | July
- GLHF: The Difference Between EU and SA Dota Teams
- MWEB GameZone: SA Developer Spotlight: Organosphere
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 53 – Sargon
There’s some regular CS:GO and Hearthstone action happening with season two of the ESL African Championships. We suggest hitting the ESL Africa Facebook page for stream details.
There’s a few other activities happening around the country:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting their playdates series in August. Thursday events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 10th – Marvel Heroes Omega
- 17th – Rocket League
- 24th – Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 225th – F1 2016 (Belgian GP)
- 31st – Forza Horizon 3
- Timeline E-Sport Center in Benoni is hosting a BYOC LAN from 9am on Saturday (12 August) until 5pm the same day. Entry is R100 per seat. Additional information can be found on the event page.
- MSSA is hosting the online championship for StarCraft II and Hearthstone on Saturday. If you want (or need) more information, we’d suggest nagging them over on Facebook.
- The Nexus, along with the Johannesburg Fighting Game Community will play host to a fighting tournament on Saturday from 10am. Tekken 7, Injustice 2, Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, and Street Fighter V are all on the agenda for the day. Head to the event page for more.
- Saturday remains a busy day with a Hearthstone Fireside Gathering in Cape Town. The event will kick off at 11am at The Luckshack in Milnerton. Extra information is available on the event page.
Now, next week Thursday, the original Telkom DGL schedule suggested that the DGC event (usually held at rAge) might actually be taking place from 17 August. Check here if you don’t believe us.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 2 to 3 September 2017: Con.ect
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
This past weekend saw the Valkyrie Challenge hosted by Mettlestate, Tech Girl and Evetech as a celebration of all-female CS:GO competition.
Up for grabs in the match between Energy Finesse and Amaryllis Gaming was R50,000. The money went the way of the Energy team who took the best of five match 3-0.
If you’re keen to see photos from the event, you can head here. You can also catch the Tech Girl’s coverage of the event here. Axtremes was at the event and gave some thoughts on the future of the standalone esports event as well as grabbing an interview with Tech Girl’s Sam Wright. You can find that here.
In a slightly related matter. If you have been wondering what happened to Mettlestate’s CASTAR (or caSTAR) casting competition, there has been a small update:
we’re finishing up first round of judging and will have our finalists for you shortly. #caSTAR
Injustice 2 South African Cup – The Grand Finale
by African Gaming
ACGL Top 5 | July
by African Gaming
Fun and games at EGE 2017
by Eyewitness News
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.