There’s always plenty happening in South Africa but some weeks are more focused than others. This week, it’s all pretty FIFA (or virtual football)-like.
Let’s kick things off with some articles you may have missed from elsewhere:
- ACGL: Injustice 2 SA Cup | Heat 4 Wrap Up and Top 16 Announced
- ACGL: Cape Town Esports Weekend Featuring FIFA 17 and Injustice 2
- ACGL: Injustice 2 SA Cup | Interview with Smokevengeance
- Critical Hit: Sign-ups are open for the HP Omen League of Legends Challenge
- Critical Hit: A Noob’s Guide to the esports at Rush
- Critical Hit: If we’re talking salaries for players, what’s sustainable?
- Critical Hit: Goliath Gaming, a new MGO, plans to pay salaries to their players
- Critical Hit: Mettlestate announce CASTAR, a search for SA’s next casting talent
- Game Nation: ICON 2017 – Our full recap of the 25th Anniversary Event
- GLHF: Myths Becoming Legends
- Kwese ESPN: ESL African Championship group finals to be held over two days
- NAG: South Africa’s Ethereum miners are causing a nationwide GPU stock crisis
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 46 – E3 Edition RAW!
- Tech Girl: Player Contracts, Salaries and Professionalism in South African Esports
ACGL have online tournaments for Rocket League, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and Halo 5. Details can be found here. The top 16 in the Injustice 2 SA Cup is on this Sunday and the players are now battling for the place in the grand final bite at R60,000 and a trip overseas. Call of Duty players can play for the R12,000 up for grabs in the Infinite Warfare tournament forming part of the MWEB GameZone Masters Series. Details here.
VS Gaming is hosting a variety of legs, cups and other tournaments, while Orena have kicked off their Orena Champions Series. There is also the ongoing ESL Africa tournaments, while there are these events to keep your eye out for:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting a number of playdates in May. The Thursday events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 22 – Rainbow Six Siege
- 23 – F1 2016 (Azerbaijan)
- 29 – Micro Machines World Series
- Cape Town Esports Weekend is happening on Saturday and Sunday in Cape Town. FIFA 17 and Injustice 2 features with cash prize pools and no entry fee. The event is being hosted in Kuils River and interested players can find more information and registration here.
- MSSA have the Free State Provincial Championship scheduled for Saturday and Sunday. Head too their Facebook page for more.
- FIFA 17 features in a tournament at Republic of 94 this Sunday. R150 gets you playing for the R2,000 up for grabs. More information here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 21 to 23 July 2017: Rush
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
Kosta Games are hosting their next FIFA 17 PS4 LAN event on Saturday 1 July. Up for grabs is a total of R3,000 in cash and entry is R180 per player.
The prize pool is split as follows:
- 1st: R2,000
- 2nd: R700
- 3rd: R300
The event is being held at Epic lounge in the Ormonde Shopping Centre in Gauteng and kicks off at 1pm on the day.
Additional information can be found on their event page.
Plan-G FIFA Tournament
WIN A PRE-ORDER FIFA 18!!In association with Confuze and Plan-g Gaming. B4 All Else Fails#21&22July#FIFA18
New test ESEA Johannesburg servers (for CS:GO) have been deployed and set up for matchmaking for PUGs and Scrims. According to the announcement, you must “make sure your ping is set low enough on the client to get matched to the JHB servers. If all goes well, we will deploy more PUG and Scrim servers”.
MSI South Africa is hosting a Fan Day in Johannesburg this weekend!
Date: 24 June ’17
Time: 12.00 — 14.30
Place: Kwesé Studios, Bryanston, Johannesburg
Comment below your favorite MSI Gaming Notebook AND #MSIFanDay!
PLEASE NOTE! to be eligible, you need to be in Johannesburg and able to arrange your own transportation – lunch & lucky bag will be provided at the event!
1 x random winner will receive a double ticket to the event – winner will be announced on Wednesday 21st of June at 8pm CAT!
ESL Africa behind the scenes VLOG
by Sam Wright
Beetle on Broadcast Production Standards in SA esports
Cape Town FanCon 2017 Cosplay Music Video
by Primal Nerdz
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.