Let’s get to it. And by it, we mean the zombie apocalypse. And this week’s SA Gaming News Wrap.
Kicking things off with news you may have missed earlier in the week.
- Zombiegamer: CS:GO Reality Show Gamerz looks set to include Africa
- Zombiegamer: WRG takes the VS Gaming Dota 2 Masters Cup
- ACGL: Injustice 2 SA Cup Kicks off this Weekend
- Critical Hit: Some community members are pushing for one last shot at competitive Overwatch
- Critical Hit: Signups for the first season of Orena Championship Series are open
- GLHF: Age in Esports: Does it Matter?
- Kwese ESPN: ESL African Championship: Damage Control powers to the top
- Mega8 eSports: Partners with Ginx TV
- MWEB GameZone: Pokémon GO: An awesome South African event announced for ICON 2017
- MWEB GameZone: The current state of the South African Valve servers
- MWEB GameZone: SA price list for Nvidia’s new GeForce GT 1030
- MWEB GameZone: South Africans pay tribute to Overwatch in the best way possible
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 44 – Profeci and DeMoNiK
- Plastic Pixel Party: The Future of the SA Economy: A Little History Lesson (Part One)
- Plastic Pixel Party: The Future of the SA Economy: A Little History Lesson (Part Two)
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
ACGL have online tournaments for FIFA 17, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, Overwatch and League of Legends. Details can be found here. Most importantly, the Injustice 2 SA Cup kicks off this weekend. You can register here for your bite at R60,000 and a trip overseas.
A number of other events are happening too over the coming week (or so):
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting a number of playdates in May. The Thursday events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 25 – Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- 26 – F1 2016 GP (Monaco)
- Mega8 Esports host their Dota 2 Winter Cup from 26 May to 28 May. Eight teams will be facing off and you will be able to catch the action via YouTube – stream 1 and stream 2.
- Durban has a FIFA 17 tournament on Saturday 27 May. Matches kick off at 9am at the DUT ML Sultan Cafeteria. Entry is R100 and there is R2,000 cash up for grabs. More information via the event page.
- MSSA has the Mpumalanga Championship scheduled for Saturday and Sunday of this coming weekend. The championship will be hosted at HTS Witbank and interested players should head to the Facebook page for more.
- Kosta Games host an online PS4 FIFA 17 tournament this Saturday from 6pm. Entry is R150 and there is R2,000 up for grabs. Additional information can be found here.
- FanCon 2017 will feature on Carte Blanche (DStv channel 101) this Sunday. The segment will focus on cosplay from the recent convention.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 16 to 18 June: ICON
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Giveaways & Competitions
- Zombiegamer: Win Injustice 2 and a Headset in our 8th Birthday Giveaway
- Geek Node: Win a copy of Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 + Season Pass
- IGN Africa: Win: A Copy of Prey Plus a Branded T-Shirt
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Injustice 2 (PS4)
Sales & Discounts
- Raru: Games Clearance Sale – Save Up To 70%
- MWEB GameZone: Overwatch on sale in South Africa to celebrate the first anniversary
FIFA 17 Tournament (Free State)
Short Clawed Lark Game Studio in Bloemfontein has announced a FIFA 17 tournament for Friday 2 June. Registration is R250 per player and there is a total of R7,500 up for grabs.
FIFA 17 TOURNAMENT on Friday, 2nd June 2017.1st prize: R5,000.002nd prize: R2,500.003rd prize: SCL Game Studio hamperRegistration: R250.00#sclgamestudio #GamersParadiseInOneStudio
Mettlestate has announced its intention to host a casting competition… sometime. Details are still awaited, but cash prizes are promised.
They have also released the ‘official aftermovie’ for the recent Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Championship.
You heard it last night on our Twitch stream but we can now confirm. The Mettlestate casting competition is go. Full…
The Samsung Galaxy CSGO Championship 2017
Interview with Travis ‘Castaway’ Waters
by Kaameel Chicktay
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.