Hey South Africa, do you have any idea what all went down this past week in your own (gaming) backyard? That’s fine, we’ll help inform you.
Firstly, remember to book your weekend for Geekfest if you’re in Johannesburg. Then catch up on a few news articles you may have missed from elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: Orena Announces the R1.7 Million Champions Series
- Zombiegamer: Dota 2 Masters Cup Live 19 to 21 May
- Zombiegamer: Bravado Gaming are the Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Champs
- Zombiegamer: Injustice 2 Tournaments Announced – Includes a South African Leg
- Zombiegamer: Telkom DGL is now VS Gaming with SuperSport as Broadcast Partners
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) Masters | Transfer Rules and Regulations Overhaul
- ACGL: Launches a Free Agent System
- ACGL: The Injustice 2 South African Cup Announced
- ACGL: Top 5 Plays of the Month | April
- Bravado Gaming: [Photos] Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy #CSGO Championships
- Critical Hit: Orena announces R1.7 million Championship Series
- Critical Hit: Injustice 2 Championship Series sees local fighting game fans battle for R60 000
- Critical Hit: Bravado crowned Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Champions
- Critical Hit: Telkom’s Digital Gaming League is now the stand-alone VS Gaming
- DOTA Is Life: Player Interview: Wesley Odu Rose
- Geek Node: at GeekFest 2017
- Geek Node: Presents The Indie Game Development Panel at GeekFest 2017
- Geek Node: GeekFest Radio – All The Details
- Geek Node: GeekFest 2017 Preview – Vidcast with Chris Jordan
- GLHF: Forging and Raising the South African Esports Bar
- HTXT: R60k Injustice 2 tournament announced for South Africa
- HTXT: Bravado Gaming wins local Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Championship
- HTXT: Telkom creates a bespoke company to grow esports in SA
- Kwesé: ESL African Championship sees South Africa, Algeria and Madagascar duke it out in Hearthstone
- Mega8: DotA2 Winter Cup Team Previews
- MWEB GameZone: Injustice 2 South African Cup Announced
- MWEB GameZone: The Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Championship was the esports competition SA needed
- MWEB GameZone: South African gaming events of May 2017
- NAG: Big prizes up for the win in the Injustice 2 South African Cup competition
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 42 – PenguinZA
- Nexus: Be the Hero in the Local Injustice 2 Tournament!
- Plastic Pixel Party: The Rise of Esports in SA: Our Time Has Come and This Means War
- SA Gamer: Local Injustice 2 tournament gets announced. Prepare those finger muscles
- SA Gamer: Bravado drops the hammer in Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Championship
- SA Gamer: Telkom forms a dedicated company for esports, VS Gaming
- Tech Girl: Let’s Talk About #AFRICAFORCODCHAMPS…
- Tech Girl: 3 Things You Need to Know About South African Esports Right Now
- Telkom Gaming: HellbirD on Building a Brighter Future with nAvTV
- Telkom Gaming: South African Server Petitions: Worthy Causes or Game Destroyers?
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
The Telkom DGL continues with a variety of leagues and tournaments.
There are otherwise a few other events happening to keep you entertained:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting a number of playdates in May. The Thursday events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 11 – Forza Horizon 3
- 12 – F1 2016 (Spain)
- 18 – Gears of War 4 Horde Mode
- 25 – Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- 26 – F1 2016 GP (Monaco)
- MSSA is scheduled to host the Fezile Dabi Regional Championships (Eastern Cape) this Saturday. Details at the time of writing were scarce, but we would suggest keeping your eye on their Facebook page for more.
- Crown the King is hosting a FIFA 17 tournament on Saturday (13 May) from 10am at Mafikeng Mall. Player registration is R150 for ‘seniors’ and R80 for ‘juniors’ with R3,000 in cash up for grabs. Additional information can be found on the event page.
- Mega8 Esports kick off the qualifying rounds of their Dota 2 Winter Cup on 13 May and carry on until 14 May. 16 teams will battle it out for slots at the finals on 26 to 28 May. Additional information (including stream links) can be found here.
- Geekfest is probably this weekend’s big event. The annual geek festival features cosplay, family fun and more. The event starts 10am on Saturday and runs until 4pm on Sunday at Montecasino. A day pass will cost you R100, while R150 gets you access over both days. Head to the event page for more.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- MWEB GameZone: Win 1 of 2 pairs of Geekfest 2017 day passes
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 (PC/PS4/Xbox One)
It seems at least two local FIFA 17 players have qualified to compete in the FIFA Interactive World Cup Regional (Rest of the World) Final.
We wish the players all the best when they play for the coveted spots at one of FIFA’s showpiece events. Please inform us if you are aware of any other qualifying South African players.
The Xbox Players SA Facebook group is launching a new regular ‘spotlight’ feature which will focus on – you guessed it – Xbox players community players.
Interested participants can email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Xbox Player Spotlight, along with the following details:
- Your name & surname
- Your gamertag
- The type of games you enjoy playing (List maximum of 5)
- Your Social profiles if you’d like to share them with the group (Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
- Something about yourself you’d like your fellow Xbox players to know. (An achievement, an award, a record, or anything you’d just like to share with your Xbox family.)
The first feature is scheduled for 22 May.
Additional information can be found here.
Something a little different from traditional gaming but certainly one to tap into your geek side. In Durbanville the Building Blocks exhibition is underway, featuring the work of Nadia Estelwen Viljoen and Alessandro Pappada.
The exhibition focuses on LEGO with the two artists showing off paintings and ceramics of the little yellow-headed figures or creations influenced by them.
The exhibition is underway at the WHOW Studios at 2 Ixia Street, Durbanville, Cape Town until 15 June 2017.
You can find out more about the exhibition here.
Some recent FIFA action in Ghana hosted by the Ghana Esports Association.
eSportGhana Tigo #BlueLightDistrict Fifa17 TournamentPlayboxgh Virtual Union 4 Change Alisxta Frank "Wonderkid" Kpakpo
Posted by Ghana Esports Association on Sunday, 7 May 2017
Here are some of the highlights from the second CS:GO qualifier#KweseESL #ESLAfricanChampionship
Posted by ESL Africa on Tuesday, 9 May 2017
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.