Another sun sets on another week in South African gaming and… we get all poetic. But it means another weekly wrap up article for you.
This weekend sees Free Comic Book Day hit South Africa, and we see both Nexus and Readers Den are celebrating it. There may be more doing things so check what your local comic book shop is up to on Saturday 6 May.
- Zombiegamer: Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy Championship | Watch 8 Battle for R1 Million this Weekend
- Zombiegamer: Mega8 Esports | DotA2 Winter Cup Preview
- Zombiegamer: [Photos] FanCon 2017 (Album 2)
- Zombiegamer: [Photos] FanCon 2017 (Album 1)
- ACGL: Clan Guide – Part 1: Define your brand
- Cos We Play: Fancon 2017 – Cosplayers Under 1 Flash – Zoiks
- Critical Hit: Mettlestate CS:GO Power Rankings
- Critical Hit: FanCon 2017 was an incredibly special experience
- Critical Hit: The kickass cosplay of FanCon 2017
- Critical Hit: Want to get better at Dota 2? “Move” says Merlini
- Crown the King: [Photos] 15 April 2017
- Fortress of Solitude: Cape Town FanCon 2017 – A Big Win for South African Geeks
- Geek Node: GeekLympics at GeekFest 2017
- GLHF: GeeMax and Tiny on Finding Their Mettle
- Kwesé: ESL African Championship: We have our Top 8 teams for the pre-series
- Mega8 Esports: DotA2 Winter Cup Preview
- MWEB GameZone: What SA gamers will pay for May’s top game releases
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 41 – Alex and Natalie
- News24: We went to FanCon in Cape Town and this is what we saw!
- Nexus: FanCon 2017 Impressions
- Premier eSports South Africa: [Photos] The Interactive Champions Cup
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
The Telkom DGL Leg 3, Amber Series and the Masters Leg 2 are currently going on.
There are a few other events happening to keep you entertained:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting a number of playdates in May. The Thursday events start at 8pm, while the Friday F1 events begin at 9pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates.
- 04 – Star Wars Battlefront
- 11 – Forza Horizon 3
- 12 – F1 2016 (Spain)
- 18 – Gears of War 4 Horde Mode
- 25 – Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- 26 – F1 2016 GP (Monaco)
- Mettlestate bring their R1 million CS:GO tournament to an end this weekend. From 9:30am on Friday (5 May), the final eight teams battle it out until the last two face off on Sunday at 2:30pm. Catch all the action live on Twitch, while additional information can be found here.
- Cold Fusion LAN are at Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park for the May edition of their regular LAN events. The LAN starts at 6pm on Friday and continues until 11am on 7 May. Entry is R100 per person and their are a number of tournaments planned. Additional information can be found on the event page.
- ESL Africa host the final Hearthstone qualifier in the current phase of their R2 million series on Saturday (6 May). Additional information regarding the event can be found here.
- Gameplay – which mixes game music with a symphony – is scheduled for Saturday from 8pm. It will be hosted at The Woodmill Lifestyle Market near Stellenbosch. Tickets are R230 and additional information can be found here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 13 to 14 May 2017: GeekFest
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- Geek Node: Geek Fest Double Ticket Giveaway – Week 3!
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Prey (PC/PS4/Xbox One)
Ever wanted to sell or trade your unwanted games but felt like the offer from BT Games was a little like a low blow or that Gumtree was always going to end in you being scammed?
Then GamesTrader is for you. Launched around two weeks ago, it is an “online marketplace where gamers can buy, sell, trade and swap their second hand games with other South African gamers.” It comes packed with a dashboard showing your stats, how much you have spent (or earned) on games and how many clicks your listings have had. The great thing is that there is no charge for the service. Nothing. Nada. Niks.
ETA College FIFA Tournament
Kosta Games are gearing up for their next online league. Registrations are now open until 12 May, with the action kicking off on 13 May. Entry is R130 with cash prizes up for grabs.
Following yet another hot & successful season, we welcome our 3rd season of our online league. Grab a spot while there's still time.Tag a gamer.#KostaGamesFIFAOnlineLeague#FIFA17OnlileLeague#OwnTheGame
WHY WE NEED COD CHAMPS #AfricaForCodChamps
by Zak Essa
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.