The SA Gaming News Wrap. Our weekly attempt to try and source everything gaming related in South Africa and share it with you. We may miss things, but we try OK?
A few news articles you may have missed:
- Zombiegamer: FanCon 2017 | (Almost) All You Need to Know
- Zombiegamer: DGL’s Dota 2 Masters Cup Finals Dated
- ACGL: Connecting with your Community | Titles
- Critical Hit: Blizzard announce top 32 countries for the Overwatch World Cup [No South Africa]
- Critical Hit: Ranked Dota 2 matchmaking will no longer be available in South Africa
- GLHF: Putting the Mega into Mega8
- Kwesé: Bravado Gaming, Damage Control in top four for ESL African Championship
- MWEB GameZone: What to expect from GeekFest 2017
- MWEB GameZone: What Bravado’s survey reveal about South African gamers
- MWEB GameZone: Dota 2: About Ranked play on SA servers, new phone number requirement and more
- NAG: I went to Wootware and AMD’s Ryzen launch event in Cape Town
- NAG: Dota 2 drops ranked matchmaking in South Africa
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 40 – World Cup Gaming
- Red Bull: Optimise your CS:GO settings like these pros
- SA Gamer: Welcome to the shiny new SA Gamer news site
- Tech Girl: The South African Esports Update and Two Tips to Improve Your Game
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
The Telkom DGL Leg 3 and the Masters Leg 2 continue currently while almost all the other long-term tournaments are on a break or have come to an end.
Our sister organisation, ACGL, have a number of upcoming tournaments for Halo 5, Infinite Warfare, Rocket League, Overwatch, FIFA and For Honor. Keep your eye on the tournament listing here.
Otherwise, there are a few other events happening to keep you entertained:
- Xbox Playdates ZA are hosting a Project Cars session on Thursday 27 April from 8pm. You can get more information here about the regular gaming play dates. You can also book the following dates for May already:
- 04 – Star Wars Battlefront
- 11 – Forza Horizon 3
- 12 – F1 2016 (Spain)
- 18 – Gears of War 4 Horde Mode
- 25 – Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- 26 – F1 2016 GP (Monaco)
- Critical Hit is hosting a get together of gamers at River Club in Observatory on Friday 28 April from 5pm. You can find out more here.
- Xbox Playdates ZA returns on Friday from 9pm with an F1 2016 event in conjunction with SA Gamer.
- FanCon kicks off at 10am on Saturday (29 April) at the CTICC. Cape Town’s very own comic convention runs until 5pm on Monday. Full details can be found here.
- ESL Africa are in action again this weekend. Both Hearthstone and CS:GO get qualifiers in their R2 million series. Hearthstone is on Saturday with CS:GO on Sunday (30 April). Additional information regarding the event can be found here.
- Topaz Lounge in Bloemfontein is playing host to a FIFA 17 tournament on Sunday. R100 gets you playing for the R1,000 first prize up for grabs. For more information, head here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 13 to 14 May 2017: GeekFest
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- Geeknode: Geek Fest Double Ticket Giveaway
- MWEB GameZone: Prove you are SA’s biggest Blizzard fan and win the ultimate hamper
- MWEB GameZone: Win One of Three 12-month PlayStation Plus vouchers
- MWEB GameZone: SA Gaming Giveaways for April 2017 – The Big Win Edition
- Raru: WIN 1x Nintendo Classic Mini Console (NES) + 2 x Nintendo Game Soundtrack CDs
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Dark Souls 3: GOTY Edition (PC, PS4, Xbox One)
Sales & Discounts
The final eight have been decided in the Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy CS:GO Championship, where the following teams will be battling for their share of R1 million.
We will be doing more extensive coverage next week in the lead up to the weekend’s LAN final.
Sign ups have opened for Mega8 Esports’ Dota 2 Winter Cup.
Public Sign Ups for the Mega8 Winter Cup Qualifiers are Live! Sign up through the link below. #Mega8 #WinterCup
Looking for some online Call of Duty action on PlayStation 4? Gamers Connect are hosting season one of their league. The action starts on 7 May and runs for around a month.
Full details can be found here, but (South African) teams will need to pay R200 to get playing in the R4,300 tournament.
The Ballistix Masters for Battlefield 4 and Dota 2 has come to an end and saw Pulse Gaming secure top spot (and R10,000 cash) in Battlefield, while White Rabbit Gaming took top spot and R15,000 in Dota 2.
Ballistix Masters Champions!Pulse Gaming, White Rabbit Gaming
Mythic Gaming had to forfeit their match against Damage Control in the Mettlestate Samsung Galaxy CS:GO tournament which secured the latter a spot in the LAN finals scheduled for the weekend of 4 to 7 May.
The final eight teams have now been decided for the R1 million tournament.
Ventus Gaming has seen the departure of two of their CS:GO teams in the last week.
ANNOUNCEMENT:Ventus parts ways with Black CS:GO & Ventus Academy Grey CS:GOWith some sadness, Ventus will be parting…
Whats Happening #CODZA
CS:GO Deeper: Ep5 with Ph4ntom & Profeci
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.