Yes, that is another week gone by and that means we’re back with the news wrap about the South African esports and gaming scene.
To start you off, here are some articles you may have missed from elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: MettleState announces R1 million CS:GO tournament
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) | Sapphire Genesis and Do-or-Die Qualifiers
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) | Masters DotA2 Round 5 Results
- Critical Hit: ACGL Overwatch Festival Results
- Critical Hit: Mettlestate announce R1 million Galaxy Championship atop Energy Esports win
- Critical Hit: Fibre rollout: How does this impact the local gaming scene
- Critical Hit: South African Steam games may soon be 14% more expensive
- Game Arena: DXRacer Chairs Finally Launched In South Africa!
- GLHF: There’s More To Esports Than The DGL
- GLHF: Adastam Talks About Being Removed From Aperture Gaming
- Hi5: New Website
- Kosta Games: [Photos] FIFA 17 Sunday Championship Tournament
- MWEB GameZone: R1 million CS: GO tournament announced for South Africa
- MWEB GameZone: South African gaming events of March 2017
- MWEB GameZone: South Africans will soon pay more for Steam games
- MWEB GameZone: DXRacer gaming chairs launch in South Africa and they are everything
- NAG Podcast: Episode 32
- Sam Wright: [Video] Why no one watches South African Esports
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
Telkom DGL continues with the Masters Leg 1 and the DGL Sapphire series, while those looking for other fixes could consider these upcoming events and tournaments:
- Xbox Playdates ZA takes to the Battlefield (1) tonight (Thursday 2 March) from 8pm. If you’re keen to get involved, you can get more information here.
- Mc’Cloudz Vape & Chill in Ottery, Cape Town are hosting a FIFA 17 tournament on Friday (3 March) night from 7pm. R20 gets you in with cash up for grabs. More information can be found on their Facebook event page.
- Cold Fusion LAN are at Edleen Primary School for their LAN this weekend. The event starts at 6pm on Friday and runs until 11am on Sunday. A LAN seat will set you back R100 and if you’re keen to attend, head here for more information.
- If you’re in Ghana and FIFA 17 is your game, Madagastargh is kicking off their Champion of Champions tournament on Saturday (4 March). Interested players in Ghana can find out more here.
- Gaming Battle Ground will be hosting the ‘Love is in the Air Fireside’ Hearthstone event on Saturday from 4pm until 8pm. The event will be held in Greenpoint, Cape Town. Additional information can be found on the event page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 27 to 29 April 2017: rAge Cape Town
- 29 April to 1 May 2017: FanCon
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
- More 2017 Gaming and Geek Expos can be found here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- Critical Hit: Win a hamper that includes a copy of Ghost Recon Wildlands
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
ESEA has withdrawn the South African slot in their Season 24 LAN final due to lower growth than expected. While they are promising ongoing support, a comment by ESEA admins responding to queries said that “ultimately it’s up to the region to decide it’s own fate on a global scale for events.”
That little dagger in the heart at an international level is a cold one, but hopefully it is a real shot in the arm for the community to stop taking things for granted.
ESEA have announced the regions that will be playing at the Season 24 finals, and it does not include a team from South Africa: https://play.esea.net/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=14950
The tournament qualifiers are on 18-19 March with the main event still to be confirmed. Up for grabs is R50,000 and registrations (capped at 16 teams it seems) are open here.
Mega8 is proud to announce that sign-ups for the Autumn Cup qualifier are now up. Sign-up/login on Billosoft to register https://gopickup.billosoft.com. #mega8 #eSports #CSGO #Autumncup
The Ballistix Masters returns with Battlefield 4 and Dota 2 tournaments – and registrations are now open.
Tournament details are as follows:
- Registrations close: Monday 13 March
- Group stages start: Thursday 16 March
- Elimination stage start: Sunday 9 April
- Finals: Sunday 23 April
Prizes are still to be confirmed, but it is promised that “Ballistix Masters is going big in 2017!”
You can find out more here.
If you’re more a fan of fighting with your hands and feet than with guns, then this event is for you. On 25 March 2017 at The Luckshack in Milnerton fighting is on the agenda.
For R30, combatants can participate in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3), Street Fighter V (PS4) and Mortal Kombat X (PS4) for the cash prizes up for grabs.
You can find out more about the event here.
South Africa’s first major expo of 2017 has opened ticket sales. Yip, tickets are now on sale for rAge Cape Town.
Senpai Vlogs – Supporting Local and why it’s important in South Africa
by Plastic Pixel Party