The last week has flown by and brought plenty of local news and activities, marking the true start of the year.
In case you were still on holiday, here are some of the things you may have missed from us and elsewhere:
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) | DotA2 Emerald Genesis Round 3 Results
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) | DotA2 Emerald Genesis Round 2 Results
- Zombiegamer: Mythic Gaming | New year, new additions
- Zombiegamer: 2016 World Electronic Sports Games (WESG) | DotA2 Results
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) | DotA2 Emerald Genesis Round 1 Results
- Zombiegamer: Trenchtown Modern Warfare Remastered 2v2 | The Results
- Zombiegamer: World Electronic Sports Games (WESG) | The Results
- Zombiegamer: Telkom Digital Gaming League (DGL) | DotA2 Emerald Genesis Qualifier Preview
- Zombiegamer: South African esports | Telkom DGL DotA2
- ACGL: What We Did in 2016
- ACGL: ACGL Introduces the Top 5 Plays of the Month
- Critical Hit: ESEA Season 24 Registration has been extended
- Critical Hit: Bravado wrap up ESEA in LA and head to China
- GLHF: Going the Extra Miles
- GLHF: Castaway at WESG
- MWEB GameZone: rAge 2017 Cape Town: New venue, date and ticket sales announced
- MWEB GameZone: WESG Day Two: All teams and players from South Africa eliminated
- MWEB GameZone: WESG Day One: How the teams and players from South Africa performed
- MWEB GameZone: PlayStation VR SA launch gets slight delay
- NAG: TVR and MSI officially launches Kaby Lake in South Africa
- NAG: rAge Cape Town 2017 is on like Donkey Kong
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 26
- Orena: Group exit for South Africa at WESG
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
FIFA 17 is the headline title this weekend but there is also some Battlefield and Hearthstone action available too.
- Xbox Playdates ZA is hosting a… Xbox Playdate for South Africans. On Thursday (19 January) from 8pm, join other South Africans for some Battlefield 1 action. Details are available here.
- XboxPlayersSA (not to be confused with the above) are hosting a ‘tryouts’ for a FIFA 17 UK Tour on 21 and 22 January. I wouldn’t get too excited, as it seems the plan is for the successful players to play in an online match against the UK players another time that is still to be decided. Details are on the event page.
- We are at Trenchtown this Saturday to host a FIFA 17 tournament from 10am. Registration is R50 and there is a guaranteed prize pool of R1,000 cash along with Raru vouchers. Alongside the FIFA 17 will be a free to enter PES 2017 tournament. Details are available here.
- **UPDATE** The day for this event is changed to Saturday. Hearthstone fans can join Weekly Level Up for their Tavern Hero Qualifier at Boston Est.2015 in Cape Town on Sunday. The tournament kicks off at 12:30pm and interested players can find more information on the event page.
- Make Games SA are hosting a Cape Town meet up on Wednesday (25 January) at the Bandwidth Barn in Woodstock, Cape Town. The event starts at 6:30pm. Details are available here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 27 to 29 April 2017: rAge Cape Town
- 29 April to 1 May 2017: FanCon
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge JHB
The dates for rAge 2017 have been confirmed for both Cape Town and Johannesburg, and while it’s great to be able to book the dates in your calendar, one has to question why the dates for Cape Town clash with another Cape Town event – FanCon.
Anyway, grab your calendar and save these dates now:
- 27 to 29 April 2017: rAge Cape Town at Century City Conference Centre
- 6 to 8 October 2017: rAge Johannesburg at Ticketpro Dome
You can keep your eye on the rAge page for additional information as it becomes available.
Bravado Gaming have announced roster changes to their CS:GO team for 2017.
The changes see Robby ‘Blackpoison’ Da Loca and Ashton ‘Golz’ Muller leaving the team with Rhys ‘Fadey’ Armstrong and Johnny ‘JT’ Theodosiou joining.
Blackpoison will be leaving to join an unnamed International organisation following recent good performances.
The full roster for the Bravado Gaming CS:GO team going forward is:
- Dimitri ‘Detrony’ Hadjipaschali
- Aran ‘Sonic’ Groesbeek
- Johnny ‘JT’ Theodosiou
- Ruan ‘Elusive’ Van Wyk
- Rhys ‘Fadey’ Armstrong
- Tiaan ‘T.C’ Coertzen (manager, coach and analyst)
The partnership and sponsorship marks LG’s decision to become a more visual brand in the local competitive scene which started in 2016 with sponsorship of screens for the MAG Cup.
You can read more about the sponsorship here.
White Rabbit Gaming
White Rabbit Gaming have released their video of their rAge 2016 exploits, which saw them win the Dota 2 DGL Masters in a final against Bravado Gaming.
Local tournament hosts Xtreme Gaming have initiated a charity campaign called the Xtreme Celebrity Charity Challenge.
The campaign works as follows:
Xtreme Gaming challenges a celebrity to FIFA 17 on Playstation 4. The celebrity then announces the name of the charity and the amount they will be donating, while also challenging another celebrity to meet or beat their donation at a charity of their choosing.
The first celebrity to accept the challenge was Chad Le Clos who donated R5,000 to the Movember Foundation. He has now challenged Cameron van der Burgh to match or beat his donation.
Xtreme Gaming is also asking any sponsors who are interested in the campaign to contact them.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.