The year is almost in the firm grip of the silly season but thankfully there is still gaming action happening locally.
Here’s a few local interest articles you may have missed over the last week.
- Zombiegamer: Muzammil Mowzer wins R25K as the KweséSports ACE Champion
- Geek Node: VRCade – The VR Arcade In Cape Town And Soon To Be In Johannesburg
- GLHF: 2016 In Focus: An MGO Owner’s Perspective
- MWEB GameZone: Xbox South Africa Black Friday Deal Morphs Into Festive Deal
- MWEB GameZone: How much SA gamers will pay for December’s top game releases
- NAG: Podcast: Episode 023
- SA Gamer: Your local PlayStation Experience and Game Awards times and where to watch it
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
You can feel we’re heading into the final furlong of the year with the events all but drying up. Maybe you should enjoy the break because we reckon 2017 will be a busy one.
- Cold Fusion LAN are hosting their final LAN of the year at their regular venue of Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park. The LAN starts at 6pm on Friday 2 December and runs until 11am on Sunday. For more information, you can head to the Facebook event page.
- CC Entertainment is hosting their retail shop (in Gauteng) grand opening on Saturday 3 December, and attendees can stand a chance to win a PS4. You can find out more here.
- MSSA is hosting the South African National Championships on 3 and 4 December. You need to register to participate and can do so via firstname.lastname@example.org (although we suspect registrations have closed already). For more information, you can head to the MSSA’s Facebook page.
- Looking for regular social gaming action on Xbox One? Then keep the following dates available for Xbox Playdates:
- 2 December: Forza Horizon 3
- 9 December: EA Sports UFC 2
- 15 December: Halo 5: Guardians
- 16 December: Rocket League
- For more on Xbox Playdates ZA head here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 29 April to 1 May 2017: FanCon
- 28 to 30 July 2017: EGE
Competitions & Giveaways
- Lazygamer: You can win this Final Fantasy XV Collector’s Edition
- MWEB GameZone: Win a Final Fantasy XV hamper
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag! Final Fantasy XV (PS4/XBO)
The South African team will be participating in the Mountain Dew LAN in Burbank, California against seven other teams from around the world on 5 to 8 January 2017 after defeating Carbon eSports 2-1 in the online qualifiers.
Kagiso Media (who own JacarandaFM, East Coast Radio, Mediamark, KLA, Urban Brew Studios and others) have launched Mega8 eSports which promises to “further grow and legitimise the competitive gaming industry in South Africa.”
The tournament platform was bought from Cape Town based software developers, Critter, who are now shareholders in Mega8 which will give “gamers the opportunity to win ample prize money on a regular basis by hosting regular tournaments.”
The first of these events is the MTN sponsored Dota 2 Summer Invitational that will feature eight familiar local teams and a R50,000 cash prize pool. The tournament will run from 2 to 4 December and will be streamed live on Twitch and YouTube.
Over the last few years there’s been an increase in gaming events and tournaments in South Africa, but while no-one was looking, the rest of Africa was busy too.
Ghana is starting to really establish an active community and on 16 to 18 December, a number of the local organisations there are working to bring Ghanaians Gamerfest’16.
Attendees will be able to try out PlayStation VR (and other VR), participate in tournaments for FIFA and Mortal Kombat and more.
If you are one of our friends in West Africa, remember to keep the dates open and support the event.
For more information, head to the Facebook event page.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.