South African gaming happenings and news are in the spotlight again. See you all again around the same time next week?
A few local interest articles you may have missed from elsewhere:
- GLHF: The State of the eNation
- MWEB GameZone: About those MWEB Dota 2 server issues
- MWEB GameZone: PS4 players unable buy COD 4 Remastered via local PSN
- MWEB GameZone: Local pricing of GeForce GTX 1070 revealed
- MyGaming: The incredible cosplay from this weekend’s Mall Gaming Experience
- MyGaming: Sign this petition to bring Overwatch servers to South Africa
- MyGaming: This is why South Africans pay so much more for their graphics cards
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
Ongoing events like the HaloSA tournament, CS: GO ESWC Qualifiers, Telkom DGL, Orena’s Ladders, ESEA and more are a bit of a thing these days, but there are a fair number of ‘one-off’ events to look forward to this weekend.
- ICON 2016 kicks things off this weekend. “South Africa’s longest running comics and games convention” happens at Gallagher Convention Centre from 9am and runs until 6pm on Sunday. There are plenty of non-digital activities happening, but gamers can enjoy a Hearthstone event on the Saturday from 10am to 5pm. Additional information about the weekend can be found here.
- MSSA are hosting the Free State Provincial Championships at Fakkel School in Sasolburg on Saturday and Sunday. Registrations are already closed for the tournament, but late entries may still be accepted, so we suggest emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trenchtown is the zombies’ home on Saturday with a Black Ops 3 2v2 LAN tournament. The team cap has been reached but spectators are welcome and encouraged as there is also a ‘Pop-Up Emporium’ featuring a few of the vendors from other expos and conventions.
- Weekly Level Up are hosting a Hearthstone WLU qualifier at Roodebloem Studios on Saturday from 12pm. Entry is R65 per player and cash prizes are up for grabs. Additional details can be found here.
- Plan-G in Port Elizabeth are continuing their new weekly FIFA 16 league at The Neighborhood. Entry is R20 and the league will run every Tuesday night until 26 July with weekly prizes up for grabs. Keep your eyes on their Facebook page for more.
- Make Games SA are hosting a Cape Town meetup on Wednesday 29 June 2016 from 6:30pm at the Bandwidth Barn in Woodstock. You can find out more on the Facebook event page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
EGE 2016 is around six weeks away and if your eager for more on Cape Town’s gaming, technology, eSports, cosplay and anime (and more) expo, you know we will have you covered. In the meanwhile, we’re going to suggest you keep 29 to 31 July 2016 open and head on down to the CTICC.
In the interim here are the announcements and details you should be aware of:
- Buy tickets here
- BYOC LAN
- Cosplay at EGE
- ESWC CS: GO Qualifier at EGE
- More titles announced for the EGE eSports Arena
- Vote for what you would like to see on the main stage
- Website | Facebook | Twitter
This past weekend saw the finals of the first CS: GO qualifier for MGMS came to its conclusion. The finals were a little overshadowed by an epic loser’s bracket final between Aperture Gaming and Carbon eSports which went three and into overtime three times. In the end, Aperture hung on to claim a 2-1 victory to face Bravado Gaming in the grand final.
Bravado Gaming showed their experience in big match finals and grabbed the first spot, LAN first seed and R6,000 in cash with a 2-0 win over Aperture Gaming.
- 1st: Bravado Gaming (R6,000 cash) Follow: Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
- 2nd: Aperture Gaming (R4,000 cash) Follow: Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
- 3rd: Carbon eSports (R3,000 Raru Vouchers) Follow: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
- 4th: Xperts@Total.Chaos (R1,500 Raru Vouchers) Follow: Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
The Mall Gaming Experience is on a break for a few weeks following the completion of the last LAN qualifier this past weekend which saw Aperture Gaming beat Pulse Gaming 3-0 in the final.
The event returns on 9 and 10 July when the four remaining top Dota 2 teams take each other on in a battle for the lion’s share of the R150,000 prize pool at Cradlestone Mall.
The four teams who will be playing for the money are:
- Bravado Gaming
- White Rabbit Gaming
- Flipsid3 Tactics SA
- Aperture Gaming
The ‘O’H SHOW #9 – YOUNG BLOOD!
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.