These are some of the local interest articles from other local sites that you may have missed over the last week:
- GLHF: Enter the Orena
- Lazygamer: Do yourself a favour and pay attention to competitive Overwatch
- Lazygamer: Orena, Megarom and Steelseries to host a R30k Overwatch tournament
- Lazygamer: Local Pricing on the NVIDIA GTX 1070 FE Leaked
- MWEB GameZone: South African Overwatch players are hereby called to duty
- MWEB GameZone: ICON Is A Thing and we have tickets up for grabs
- MyGaming: Check out the gear used by South Africa’s top gamers
- MyGaming: ShowMax is coming to DStv and South African gaming consoles
- MyGaming: Xbox is cooler than PlayStation in South Africa
- MyGaming: How to make it as a game developer in South Africa
- MyGaming: This is how the weak Rand is killing South African hardware
- MyGaming: 8 times game studios nailed South African accents in games
- MyGaming: How to become a professional streamer in South Africa
- MyGaming: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition South African prices revealed
- NAG: R30,000 local Overwatch tournament announced
- SA Gamer: The Burning Question: How do you feel about the eSports love from SuperSport?
- Tech Girl: South African eSports team talk with Bravado Gaming
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
There’s a good variety of gaming action happening in the country with the action kicking today already, as well as ongoing events like the HaloSA tournament, MGMS CS: GO, CS: GO ESWC Qualifiers, Telkom DGL, Orena’s Ladders, ESEA and more.
- Crown the King are hosting a FIFA 16 tournament in Mafikeng from 10am on Thursday 16 June. R200 for seniors and R100 for juniors gets you playing for the cash prizes. Details of the event can be found here.
- Wynberg Boys High School are hosting a 175-seater LAN event starting Friday (17 June) at 10am. The LAN runs until Saturday and is open to everyone – including non-pupils. Tickets are R100 per person and additional information can be found on their event page and website.
- Weekly Level Up are hosting a Hearthstone event at Games On Gaming Lounge on Friday from 7pm. The ‘Whispers of the Old Gods Launch party after the Launch Party!’ event will feature a 1v1 exhibition match and a conquest tournament with prizes. Entry is R40 per person. Additional information can be found here.
- Mall Gaming Experience hits leg three of its Dota 2 tournament at Greenstone Mall this Saturday and Sunday. Additional information about the event (which includes casual elements too) here and live matches will be streamed here.
- Weekly Level Up is back with their second Hearthstone tournament of the weekend. This time it is an online event on Sunday 19 June starting at 10am. Additional details are available on the event page.
- MWEB GameZone Masters Series comes to an end on Sunday when the top teams in the local Counter-Strike scene face off in the finals of qualifier one. The final two matches of the Predator MGMS will be live streamed at a time to be confirmed.
- Plan-G in Port Elizabeth are continuing their new weekly FIFA 16 league at The Neighborhood. Entry is R20 and the league will run every Tuesday night until 26 July with weekly prizes up for grabs. Keep your eyes on their Facebook page for more.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
- G3AR: Win 1 of 3 Pop! Star Wars: The Force Awakens – First Order Stormtrooper Vinyl Figures!
- Raru: Enter the E3 2016 Video Games Poll to win either a PS4 or Xbox One Games Hamper. Ends 24 June 2016.
- SA Gamer: E3 2016 Competitions
From today – 16 June – the Xbox One in South Africa will be R1,500 cheaper for the next four days.
Local distributor Prima Interactive announced that the price cut is available for all current Xbox One bundles with the 500GB console with a game selling for R4,999 while the 1GB console with a game and the Elite console (standalone) will be available for R5,499.
The sale is available via selected retailers (both bricks and mortar as well as online) and we suggest shopping around due to the competitive nature of some retailers and the variety of bundle options. Whatever you do, make sure you’ve made use of the special before it ends.
You can pick up the deal via our affiliate, Raru, here.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
Prima Interactive announces four day price drop on Xbox One consoles
Johannesburg, South Africa – 14 June 2016 – Prima Interactive, one of the leading distributors of interactive games and products in South Africa, has announced a four day price drop on Xbox One consoles.
According to Ian Hepplewhite, the CEO a substantial discount of up to R1 500 on Xbox One consoles* will be available to South Africans this week from Thursday,16 to Monday, 20 June 2016.
What this means is that the Xbox One 500GB console* with game, will retail for a recommended selling price of R4 999 and the Xbox One 1TB console** with game for a recommended selling price of R5 499. These bundles will be available from all leading South African retailers and etailers during the promotion period.
Xbox One is the latest generation of gaming consoles. The Xbox One offers high definition gaming, an expandable hard drive, and backwards compatibility with a growing selection of Xbox 360 games. Xbox One allows users to stream their Xbox One Games to a Windows 10 PC or tablet in their homes. Another key differentiator of Xbox One is that it is the only console that can expand its HDD space with the addition of an external drive.
With Xbox Live players have access to the best online gaming experience. Users experience the most advanced multiplayer on Xbox Live, powered by hundreds of thousands of servers that maximize performance. They can also switch between games, live TV, and apps, and also instantly resume their game where they left off. An Xbox Live Gold membership gives the player access to four free games every month.
* Excludes Xbox One 500GB Reburished Consoles.
** Xbox One Elite carries a R1500 discount off marked retail price
The details about the cosplay planned for EGE this year have been revealed, and contestants can win R5,000 cash if their outfit bags the ‘Best in Show’ award.
According to the announcement there are “no genre limitations so whether it’s a character from a movie, series or game, come show it off. It can be as close to the original as you want, a mashup of characters or genres or a gender bend version of your favourite character. Let your creativity be your only limit.” The winning outfit will be decided via a combination of a judging panel and crowd vote.
Tickets for EGE are already available via Computicket.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
Calling all Batmen, Wonder Women, Links, Zeldas, Marios and Peaches! We have some exciting news for you from EGE 2016.
Cosplay has for many years been a huge part of gaming and geek culture and EGE, Cape Town’s premier gaming and electronics expo, is proud to add another awesome cosplay event to the calendar at EGE 2016 July 29th-31st.
While EGE invites all fans and expo goers to come dressed as their favourite hero/heroine or fantastic creation, for those who are putting in serious efforts into their costumes, EGE is hosting a cosplay contest during the 3 days of the expo.
R5000 is up for grabs for the first placed or “Best in Show” cosplayer. The winner will be selected by means of both a Judging panel of expert Judges as well as by crowd vote.
There are no genre limitations so whether it’s a character from a movie, series or game, come show it off. It can be as close to the original as you want, a mashup of characters or genres or a gender bend version of your favourite character. Let your creativity be your only limit.
Obviously there are a few rules which are available on the website or via the facebook page (details below).
So if you think you have what it takes be sure to come strut your stuff at EGE 2016.
For details on how to enter consult the EGE Cosplay facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/1722342784719852/ or take a look at the EGE website at www.egesa.co.za/cosplay or for any queries contact Gen at email@example.com
Tickets for EGE Expo and EGE LAN are available on computicket.
With the third qualifier looming this weekend (see the ‘Upcoming Events’ above), it makes sense to first update you on what went down at the second qualifier hosted at Northgate this past weekend. The Dota 2 tournament saw Flipsid3 Tactics South Africa face Xperts@Total.Chaos in the final which went the way of the former 3-0.
Pictures from the weekend at Northgate can be found here.
Flipsid3 Tactics will join the first LAN qualifier winners White Rabbit Gaming and the online qualifier winners Bravado Gaming for the LAN grand final scheduled for 9 and 10 July.
If you’re a member of the local competitive console scene (and eSports in general) in South Africa, you probably know the name HoldenZA. Recently, the caster and tournament administrator and organiser featured in TFG Tech magazine to discuss the local scene, but if you aren’t a subscriber, you can read the feature below (click on image to enlarge).
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.