It seems to be a busy period for local gamers with a variety of events both complete and on the horizon. If you need to stay in the know, you can always catch up with it all in our weekly wrap up of local activities.
Some local news from around the internet that you may have missed:
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: GameFaceZA
- GLHF: Team Profile – Living for the Dream
- GLHF: Team Profile – Shock Tactics
- Lazygamer: South African competitive CS:GO player receives a VAC ban
- MaD Hatters: 325 Participants! March was MaDness!
- MWEB GameZone: The Mall Gaming Experience Is Coming – A First For South Africa
- MWEB GameZone: kykNET Binnelanders apologizes for naughty CS: GO nicknames
- MyGaming: Best value graphics cards you can buy in South Africa
- MyGaming: Desktop Dungeons has made South African developers QCF Design R9 million so far
- MyGaming: The most important skill you need to be a game developer in South Africa
- MyGaming: Everything you need to know about the Telkom Digital Gaming League
- MyGaming: This is how much money successful games from South Africa have made
- NAG: Hacking the planet in South African indie cyberpunk CCG System Crash
- Reversal eSports: HotS Addition and Takealot Giveaway
- SA Gamer: Pokémon South African National Championship 14th – 15th of May 2016
- Telkom Gaming: DGL
A pretty decent weekend of events are in store for gamers around the country, so if you miss out, it’s probably your own fault. There are also a number of ongoing events currently with the DGL first leg and Mall Gaming Experience online qualifiers underway.
- Hearthstone features prominently this weekend at the ‘Hearthstone Championship Tour Spring Preliminary & Tavern Hero Tournament South Africa’ in Woodstock, Cape Town. The event starts on 13 May and runs until 15 May and features a variety of tournaments including qualifiers for the Spring Preliminary. For those keen to attend and not feature, there are other activities including a Rocket League tournament. For more on the Hearthstone, head here. For more on the Rocket League, head here.
- Cause Gaming are hosting a LAN at UCT from 13 to 15 May. The LAN is a fundraiser for a bigger one in December and will cost you R150 per seat. You should note that no tickets will be available at the door. More details can be found here.
- MSI is launching their new Vortex PC at the MWEB Mcave on Friday 13 May. The event is also a celebration of the launch of DOOM but you will already need to be on the list to get in.
- MSSA are hosting the 1st Fezile Dabi Regional Championship on 14 and 15 May at Fakkel School in Sasolburg. Registrations have already closed for the event, but head to their Facebook page if you want more information.
- Mortal Kombat XL is featuring in a weekend cup hosted by Telkom DGL, Warner Bros. and Ster Kinekor this weekend (and next again). The tournament will see the winner head to DreamHack as well as pocket some pretty fine prizes, so there is no excuse to try your luck really. Details here.
- The MWEB Masters Series (MGMS) reaches its final of the first Black Ops 3 qualifier on Sunday. Teams who will feature are still to be decided with a few rounds remaining, but you will be able to catch the action live on their YouTube channel.
- HaloSA are due to kick off their 4v4 Halo 5 tournament from Monday (16 May). You might (maybe, only maybe) still be able to grab a spot in the tournament which will run for the next few months. Details are available here.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
- G3AR: Win a Razer Mamba Tournament Edition Mouse
- SA Gamer: FREE GAMES VRYDAG: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4)
This past weekend saw Free Comic Book Day expand into the two day event at The Lookout in the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town and change its name to FanCon.
The event was possibly South Africa’s first true Comic Con…vention and featured more than enough to keep comic book fans, table top gamers, cosplayers and almost everyone else interested in geek culture happy.
The Saturday proved to be the more popular of the two days with the venue bursting at the seams and the queues waiting to get in being something the organisers clearly weren’t expecting. Many disgruntled attendees who stood up to two hours outside waiting took to social media to complain, but in many ways the over-subscription of attendees marks a positive future for the event which otherwise succeeded in offering attendees almost everything our international friends have at their similar events.
It seems as if next year will stay at the venue but there are plans are in motion to expand the floor space, so that more attendees can enjoy more things in 2017.
Some coverage by others to make you wish you were at (or relive) FanCon 2016:
- Brainwavez: FanCon Recon 2016: Jamie McKelvie
- Channel 24: Cape Town goes all out for first Comic Con
- Lazygamer: FanCon 2016 was fantastic!
- Memeburn: A look at FanCon’s debut event: the stalls, the queues, the excitement
- Zombiegamer: FanCon 2016
- Christy McCullagh: Fancon Cape Town Sunday Day 2
- FanCon 2016: FanCon 2016 album 1
- FanCon 2016: FanCon 2016 album 2
- FanCon 2016: FanCon 2016 album 3
- FanCon 2016: FanCon 2016 album 4
- FanCon 2016: FanCon 2016 album 5
- FanCon 2016: Saturday Masquerade Fans Choice Cosplayer
- Hantie Engelbrecht: Fancon 2016
- JCB Photography: Fancon Cape Town 2016
- Skullaby: FanCon 2016: Cosplay & Artists
Videos by Grant Hinds.
Video by Cos We Play
Video by All Otaku TV
Video by Messi Merchandise
Please note, if we missed any coverage of FanCon, let us know and we will happily add it here.
We couldn’t attend GeekFest because it takes zombies a lifetime to walk around 1600km, but others did and they seemed to generally have a blast. Go fin out more by hitting the links below.
- GeekFest: GeekFest 2016 visitor pics
- Geek Node: Geek Fest 2016 Impressions!
- GES: Geekfest Cosplay 2016 – Pets and Padawans Stage Show
- MWEB GameZone: Cosplay blurs the line between fiction and reality at Geekfest
- MWEB GameZone: We bring you all the highlights from GeekFest 2016
Video by Chani_ZA
Please note, if we missed any coverage of GeekFest, let us know and we will happily add it here.
Apex Interactive have announced that they will be the new distributors of GUNNAR eyeware in South Africa. We’ve had our experience with the gear before and can say that using them has certainly reduces our eye strain (but didn’t do much to improve our skills, not that they claim to do that of course).
Pricing and availability will be announced in the coming weeks.
- The ‘O’H SHOW #5 – Dan the Tech Man!
- The ‘O’H SHOW #6 – Gaming, Fitness and Blizzard Entertainment with CrazyMonkey!
- Bravado Gaming Video Introduction
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.