We do this weekly SA Gaming News Wrap because no-one else will. And because we believe in doing whatever it takes to help grow the local scene.
A few reminders before we head to the newer news of the week. The HaloSA community is hosting a Halo 5 4v4 tournament from 16 May, while MWEB will be hosting an MSI Vortex (with Doom) launch event on 13 May. Both still present opportunities to get involved, so hit the links.
You may have missed this local coverage from other local sites this past week:
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Irish
- Zombiegamer: Tickets now available for EGE BYO LAN
- Brainwavez: A Look At The NAG Jam: rAge Cape Town 2016 Entries
- Brainwavez: 5 Zombie Questions: Dale Halvorsen
- G3AR: An Interview with Julia ‘bish’ Robson
- Geek Node: Announcing The Geek Node Raffle at Geek Fest!
- Geek Node: Free Comic Book Day 2016 [in South Africa]
- Geek Node: The Great Geek Challenge at Geek Fest
- GLHF: Getting Down with the Ballers
- Lazygamer: What South Africa can learn from “France eSports”
- MWEB GameZone: [Photos] Cape Town Showdown 6
- MWEB GameZone: These are Your May 2016 SA Gaming Events
- MWEB GameZone: Deals and Steals for SA Gamers – Star Wars Day Edition
- MWEB GameZone: Xbox One 2016 Releases: What SA gamers can expect to pay
- Telkom Gaming: Flipsid3 Shock Bravado Gaming
It’s the weekend of the geek. Both Cape Town and Gauteng are hosting geek, cosplay and comic expos, while LAN fans can join Cold Fusion in Gauteng.
- Cold Fusion LAN are at their regular venue of Laerskool Edleen in Kempton Park for the May edition of their LAN. Entry is R100 per person and kicks off 6pm on Friday and runs until 9am on Sunday. Additional details can be found here.
- FanCon is the bigger and better spin-off from the Free Comic Book Day events hosted by Readers Den over the last few years. The new two day convention (7 and 8 May) is a comic and cosplay fans dream come true with panels, vendors and more. Passes are R100 per day or R160 for the weekend and the event is at The Lookout at the V&A Waterfront. Additional information can be found on the Facebook event page.
- GeekFest is on this weekend in Gauteng and offers cosplay, geek culture and gaming (there’s a PES 2016 tournament) for R100 per day or R150 for the weekend pass. The event will be hosted at Inanda Country Base in Kyalami. More information can be found here.
- Make Games SA are hosting a Gauteng community gathering from 6:30pm on Tuesday 10 May. Entry is free, and if you are making a game, you should take it along. You can find out more about the event on the Facebook event page.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 13 to 15 May: Hearthstone Championship Tour Spring Preliminary & Tavern Hero Tournament South Africa
- 29 to 31 July: EGE
- 7 to 9 October: rAge
Competitions & Giveaways
The event will see both competitive and casual gaming share space with cosplay at a number of shopping malls in Gauteng over the course of a month.
The competitive action sees Dota 2 featured with a prize pool of R150,000 ans starts with an online qualifier from 10 May. The action then continues as a series of BYO LAN qualifiers at the various malls from 4 June and culminates with a LAN final on 9 and 10 July. For more information on the Gigabyte Dota 2 Challenge, as well as registration, head here.
Those not interested in the competitive side of gaming are covered with PlayStation 4 games like Pro Evolution Soccer, LEGO and more to try.
The cosplay community is also covered with a competition featuring a R15,000 prize pool sponsored by NAG and GES.
- The winner of the Online qualifier will make it to the Finals Directly.
- The next top 12 teams will be seeded into 4 groups.
- Which will play on LAN. Where the winning team in each group will head to the finals
- OPEN Online Qualifier – 10th May – 20th May
LAN Group Stages
- LAN Group stages and Finals are BYOC (Bring your own computer)
- 4 – 5 June – Cradlestone – 4 Teams – Double Elimination – 1 Team Qualifies for finals
- 11 – 12 June– Northgate – 4 Teams – Double Elimination – 1 Team Qualifies for finals
- 18 – 19 June – Greenstone – 4 Teams – Double Elimination – 1 Team Qualifies for finals
- 25 – 26 June – Break
- 2 – 3 July – Break
- 9-10 July – Cradlestone Finals – Winner of Online Qualifier and the 3 LAN qualified teams
- Prize Pool : Estimated R150 000
Warner Bros., Ster Kinekor and Telkom DGL have announced two weekend cups for Mortal Kombat XL. The tournaments will work as qualifiers for a national final which will see the overall winner head to DreamHack and compete for a spot at the Evo 2016 Championships in Los Angeles.
Mortal Kombat players in South Africa can currently sign up for the first qualifier (registrations close 13 May), with registrations for the second qualifier closing on 20 May. The two qualifiers will be played on 14 – 15 May and 21 – 22 May respectively.
The qualifiers will be played as single elimination online brackets and the top four players from each will face each other in the grand final on a date to be confirmed. Along with an all-expenses trip to play in DreamHack, all of the top eight will receive prizes of some sort sponsored by Warner Bros. and Ster Kinekor and amounting to a total of over R50,000 in cash and additional in merchandise and product.
At DreamHack (which takes place from 18 – 21 June) there is – along with qualifying for the Evo 2016 – a cash prize of €10,000. So overall, you could possibly take the rest of the year off if you’re a successful Mortal Kombat Kompetitor (yes, I did it).
It should be noted that you will need a valid passport to qualify for the trip to DreamHack in Sweden.
“Kinetic” | eNergy eSports
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.