The public holiday is to blame for the SA Gaming Wrap being a day late, but here it is in all its glory.
Some articles about the local scene or from local sites that you may have missed:
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Lady Jay
- Zombiegamer: HaloSA announces a unique 4v4 League
- G3AR: Military charity through Vietnam ’64
- Geek Node: Event Feature [GeekFest]: Interview with Meryl Rosenberg
- Geek Node: Geek Node Podcast: Episode 23 – Geek Fest!
- GLHF: Getting Tournaments Right: Advice from Scant
- MWEB GameZone: GeekFest levels up in 2016: Here’s why you need to be there
- MyGaming: Meet Matthew Smith – South African World Championship Gamer
- MyGaming: South African eSports industry set to take off: Bravado Gaming
- MyGaming: Asus reveals South African pricing for high-end ROG Spatha gaming mouse
- MyGaming: Awesome PC gaming gadgets – South African pricing
- Stuff: Acer’s new Predator range is coming to SA, and here’s what you’ll pay
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
Hearthstone basically dominates the weekend, but there’s a roundhouse or two to be thrown too.
- Cape Town Showdown are hosting a Street Fighter V tournament at MWEB’s Mcave. Registration is free but limited to 32 players, and there will be Raru vouchers sponsored by MWEB up for grabs. Additional information can be found here.
- TTSA are hosting a little drifting action on Tuesday night (2 May) from 8:30pm. Both Forza 4 and Forza 6 will be played, and if you’re keen, head over to their Facebook event page for more information. Registrations can be done here.
- Otherwise, the other action this weekend are Hearthstone events detailed below.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
- MWEB GameZone: Win a Golden Ticket to the MSI Vortex Launch Event at MWEB
- SA Gamer: FREE GAMES VRYDAG – Ratchet & Clank
This weekend, players around the country will have the chance to qualify for the Tavern Hero Tournament which leads into the Spring Preliminary.
Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Hillcrest (in KwaZulu-Natal) will be hosting events for Hearthstone fans.
All roads then lead to Cape Town on the weekend of 13 to 15 May 2016 where the Championship Tour Spring Preliminary and Tavern Hero Tournament will be hosted and eight players will go on to compete in the Hearthstone Spring Seasonal Championship where a prize pool of $100,000 is up for grabs.
- Cape Town: Games On Gaming Lounge from 12pm. Details here.
- Port Elizabeth: VP Sports Club from 12pm. Details here.
- Hillcrest: Mozambik Hillcrest from 1pm. Details here.
13 – 15 May
- Cape Town: Roodebloem Studios from 12pm on Friday. Details here.
Additional Contact Details:
Energy eSports have expanded their organisation’s roster and title support to include FIFA and Hearthstone.
The MGO has signed Dale “Pand3m0nia” Pon as their Hearthstone representative, while Abubakr “Abu” Akhalwaya, Sattar Hoosen, and Shuaib “Shubi” Hassen have joined Energy as the FIFA team.
FIFA in South Africa is one of the most active competitive titles that gets overlooked much of the time, so the move is a shrewd one by Energy as their are a number of high profile international events, with ESWC itself offering a local qualifier for the last few years.
Hearthstone is also getting plenty of love, and South Africans will have the opportunity to qualifier for the Blizzard sponsored Spring Preliminaries in the next few months, where eight South Africans will face international opponents for a share of $100,000 in prizes.
All the new additions to the Energy roster have strong track records in their proven genre, so you can expect a few podium finishes featuring Energy eSports soon.
More information can be found via the Energy eSports announcement.
The BHG LAN is back and while a date has been set, details of what, where and how much are not available.
Meanwhile, if you’re keen to pencil the date in (and assume it is in Gauteng for now), then mark 1 to 3 July 2016 in your diary now.
And keep your eye on the Facebook event page for up to the minute updates.
- The ‘O’H SHOW #4 – SWEET SWEET HONEY!
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.