We hate it when we don’t achieve the times we set for ourselves, but sometimes, things are out of our control, or at least, the rigors of work dictate what we can achieve. Our apologies for the delay in our weekly South African feature, and apologies for the brevity of it too.
A few local interest articles from around the internet you may have missed over the last week or so.
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: Sluggy
- Zombiegamer: Registrations now open for MGMS Black Ops 3 Qualifier 1
- Zombiegamer: Profiled: High 5 [SA Gaming Clan]
- G3AR: Local devs create Jengo, a point-and-click adventure game
- GAC LAN: Photos [April 2016]
- Geek Node: The Future Looks Bright For Hearthstone In South Africa
- GLHF: Scant Talks South African Dota 2
- Lazygamer: Is South Africa’s Dota 2’s “Only Search Ranked” movement capping our skill?
- Lazygamer: This is Jengo, a new local game that takes us back to our adventure gaming past
- MWEB GameZone: Dota 2: The SA Experience – What happened to common courtesy?
- MWEB GameZone: Jengo is the new kid on the block and he’s from South Africa
- MWEB GameZone: Report: ASA rules in favour of consumer over Takealot Daily Deals complaint
- MWEB GameZone: PS4 2016 Releases: Here’s what SA gamers can expect to pay
- MWEB GameZone: MGMS Black Ops 3 First Qualifier Registrations Open
- MWEB GameZone: VR devices available in South Africa
- MWEB GameZone: SA eSports Continues on the Upward Curve
- MWEB GameZone: SA eSports collects another win
- SA Gamer: Gamer Fest 2016 Tournament results
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
- Weekly Level Up: Fresh on Youtube: MaD Hatters Final & Semi Final 1
This weekend’s events happening around the country. Well, in Cape Town and Gauteng at least:
- The MSSA Online Provincial Championships are happening this Saturday (16 April) and will feature Dota 2, CS:GO and League of Legends. Registrations may have closed already, but we suggest contacting MSSA to check: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FIFAChamps are at Lounge Relax Play in Canal Walk, Century City to host a FIFA 16 tournament on Saturday (16 April) from 11am. Cash prizes are up for grabs and entry will cost you R80. You can find out more by heading to the FIFAChamps Facebook page.
- Weekly Level Up is at Roodebloem Studios at 27 Roodebloem Road Woodstock for a Hearthstone tournament. The action starts at 10:30am with a boot camp, while matches start at 1pm on 16 April. Plenty of prizes are up for grabs for the top placing players and entry is R70 plus your own device to compete on. You can get additional details on the Facebook event page.
- Game Arena in Centurion is hosting the Cooler Master Hearthstone Cup Finals on Sunday 17 April from 1pm. The event sees the top eight from previous tournaments invited play for their share of over R5000 in prizes. Head to the Facebook event page for more information.
Remember to keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
- Zombiegamer: Win a Plantronics RIG 500 Headset
- Lazygamer: Win a Dark Souls III Collectors Edition for Xbox One
- Megarom: Win yourself an epic Rugby Challenge 3 hamper!
- SA Gamer: FREE GAMES VRYDAG – Dark Souls 3
Registrations have opened for the first leg of the 2016 Telkom DGL.
The titles being played this year are Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Battlefield 4, Hearthstone, Rocket League, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and League of Legends. While the Masters features only CS: GO and Dota 2, the rest of the titles will be competed across three divisions – Premier Division, First Division and Ladder.
Ladder replaces the old Open Division and utilises an ELO rating system.
More information can be found here.
Bravado Gaming took the delayed Dota 2 final of Gamer’s Fest against Carbon eSports to win R30,000 in cash. Carbon secured R20,000 cash for their efforts with the finals marking the end of the inaugural Vodacom-backed event held at Mall of the South (and completed online).
The Crucial Cup also came to its conclusion recently and the Battlefield 4 final saw Pulse Gaming take down Xperts@Total.Chaos, while the Dota 2 final featured the Gamer’s Fest duo of Bravado Gaming and Carbon eSports, complete with the same result.
Games On FIFA 16 Tournament
Games On recently hosted a FIFA 16 tournament which saw the familiar face of Brandon Bowers walk off as the victor.
SA Halo 5 2v2
Results from the recent Halo SA 2v2 tournament.
- Local Halo player, Pupsky, gives some tips on playing free-for-all.