Alright, let’s be fair, this week’s SA Gaming News Wrap was always going to be dominated by rAge.
Before we head there though, here’s a few things you may have missed from around the country.
- Zombiegamer: Astro Gaming Cup | Meet the Teams and the Match Schedule
- Zombiegamer: [Photos] Gaming4Charity 2016
- Geek Node: Local Teams For The Astro Gaming Cup
- Lazygamer: Here’s the group bracket for the Telkom Masters CS:GO Series at rAge
- Lazygamer: The ASTRO Gaming Invitational teams have been announced
- MWEB GameZone: rAge Cape Town ASTRO Gaming Cup: Teams, Match Schedules, Streaming
- MWEB GameZone: Here’s what you missed from Megarom’s The Division SA launch
- MWEB GameZone: Game Arena is making waves in SA gaming
- MWEB GameZone: What the ASUS partnership means for SA gaming
And it seems that there’s only rAge Cape Town happening this weekend, so all roads lead to GrandWest in Goodwood.
Otherwise, keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
Competitions & Giveaways
- Apex Interactive: Win a Sega Mega Drive
- Geek Node: Win Resident Evil Origins Collection on PC
- MWEB GameZone: You can win this Far Cry Primal Hamper
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag: Supersize – The Division (PS4) and Far Cry Primal (Xbox One)
This weekend at rAge, a number of South African firsts are promised, and while we would pedantically disagree regarding one or two of them, it’s still there to be enjoyed, so get on it.
You can grab your tickets via Computicket at R100 for a day pass or R250 for a weekend pass.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
rAge CAPE TOWN BRINGS ON A FEW SA FIRSTS!
The really Awesome gaming expo (rAge) is coming to Cape Town next weekend and will be bringing some exciting new events for gaming and tech enthusiasts to enjoy.
- HWBOT World Tour 2016
A first for South Africa! The HWBOT World Tour is a series of overclocking events held across seven countries and five continents, where the next generation of overclockers can learn, share and compete.
HWBOT World Tour will be making its second stop for 2016 at rAge Cape Town and will feature:
– World Series for Amateurs: Overclocking workshops for amateurs will be held on Friday from 11h00 – 18h00 and Saturday from 10h00 – 18h00. If you’re interested in signing up for this you can do so at their stand. The top four overclockers will go through to a semi-final on Sunday morning and the final will take place from 12h00.
– World Series for Extreme: The overclocking competition for extreme overclockers will start on Saturday at 13h00 with qualifying rounds, moving onto semi-finals scheduled for 19h00 followed by the finals at 21h00. There are some epic hardware prizes up for grabs and the winner will secure a spot at the finals in Berlin, Germany later this year. The finals will be live streamed here http://twitch.tv/overclockingtv
- Telkom DGL Masters
In another first for South Africa, the eight Masters multi-gaming organizations (MGO) and their Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) teams will compete at rAge Cape Town in the first Major of the 2016 season, for a total prize pool of R100,000. Visitors to the expo will be able to watch every game live and Shoutcasted on the show floor – with the winning team being crowned in front of all their fans on Sunday. All games will be live-streamed on Twitch www.twitch.tv/dgl_live
- NAG Jam
Imagine creating a kick-ass game in just 72 hours… and then seeing it come to life! That’s NAG Jam. Participants were invited to create a semi-functional game this past weekend around the theme “Down, but not out”, and seven entries will have their games on display at the Intel stand at rAge for visitors to play. The top four entries will also receive their share of the R15,000.00 cash prize pool, kindly sponsored by Intel.
- ASTRO Gaming Cup
ASTRO Gaming will be celebrating the recent release of its headsets in South Africa by hosting an exclusive invitational tournament featuring four of the country’s top Call of Duty: Black Ops III PS4 teams. The teams will be playing for prizes worth R50,000, and visitors will also have the opportunity to try out the new ASTRO Gaming headsets and meet and challenge the players. Semifinals are scheduled to take place Saturday and finals on Sunday. This is the first ASTRO Gaming-backed event to be held in South Africa, and the challenge will be streamed live here https://gaming.youtube.com/user/ClanConnection/live.
Cosplay at rAge on any of the days and you’ll stand a chance to win on-the-spot prizes! Our photographer will be walking around taking photos of all the epic cosplayers and uploading them to our rAge Facebook page, and the best five cosplayers that we see on each of the three days will all win some cool goodies sponsored by some of the rAge exhibitors.
- Xtreme Gaming PS4 FIFA ’16 Tournament
Xtreme Gaming will be hosting daily FIFA ‘16 Tournaments at rAge. Only 64 spots are open per day and interested players can sign up before 11h00 on either of the three days at stand 2.
More info is available here www.facebook.com/XtremeGamingCpt/
Tickets to the expo will be available to purchase at the door or at Computicket.
For more information on rAge, please visit www.rageexpo.co.za.
When: 18-20 March 2016
Where: GrandWest Casino and Entertainment World in Goodwood, Cape Town
Times: Friday 10am-7pm; Saturday 9am-7pm; Sunday 10am-4pm
Ticket prices: Day ticket – R100; Weekend ticket – R250; kids under six enter free
- Geek Node: rAge Cape Town Brings On A Few Firsts
- MWEB GameZone: Your go-to article for rAge 2016 Cape Town
- NAG: rAge Cape Town 2016: what PlayStation is bringing to the show
- NAG: rAge Cape Town 2016: The Virtual Space at stand #FM8
- NAG: rAge Cape Town 2016: What Unplug Yourself is bringing to the table
The NAG LAN at rAge also has a number of tournaments planned alongside the usual joys on offer at a NYO PC LAN. There’s a console Call of Duty tournament, a CS: GO tournament and Rocket League. We covered all of the tournaments happening all around rAge here, or you can head to NAG for the details of the tournaments at the NAG LAN.
Remember to pick up your NAG LAN tickets though, as all tournaments in the NAG LAN area require each player to have their R550 NAG LAN access.
Sadly, the Southern Barbarians have seen their run in the 2016 Battlefield 4 Nations Challenge hosted by ESL come to an end.
The team were knocked out by the Switzerland team 2-1 which went as follows per map:
- Hainan : Switzerland won by 230
- Siege: SB won by 270
- Lancan: Switzerland won by 70
The tournament continues with the top eight teams still to play over the coming weeks.
The Crucial Cup continues with both the Battlefield 4 and Dota 2 tournaments. There’s 16 teams standing in each tournament which is in the playoff phase, and a number of matches will be streamed live.
GeekFest 2016 has announced a venue change for this year’s edition of their celebration of all things geek.
The new venue is Inanda Country Base in Kyalami on Rose Rd (with its entrance on Goodwood Ave).
The action from the MSSA this week sees the results from the North West Championships revealed, along with the confirmation of the Gauteng Provincial Championship on 26 and 27 March with all supported titles featured.
To find out more, hit the links for the press releases below.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show North West Championships Press Release:”]
MSSA’s 2oth North West Championships (sponsored by MWEB) hosted by St Conrad’s College was indeed a success.
Thanks must be extended to MWEB, St Conrad’s, Leonard Loftus and Mr. Hannes Esterhuizen.
The championship attracted players from both North West, Mpumulanga and Gauteng, and players battled it out to earn the title of North West Champion Champion, and the right to fight for a place in the 2016 National Team Trials that will ultimately deliver a team to the IeSF’s 2016 8th World Championships in Jakarta from 6 to 9 October 2016.
The championship delivered a number of surprises. Most notable of the surprise results were to be found in the League of Legends, FIFA, and Mortal Kombat X titles.
In League of Legends, the newly formed White Rabbit Gaming team smashed the opposition. Only Sasolburg High offered any sort of resistance as White Rabbit surged forward to take first place, and by winning all their games, earned Provincial Colours in the process.
In FIFA, it has been held for the past couple of years that Matthew Brooks is without doubt the best player in North West. However, Matthew lead his school team to victory in CounterStrike: GO, where the team from St Conrad’s smashed all the opposition to take first place and provincial colours. Thus the field in FIFA was wide open, and Kgosi Tshosa emerged as the victor.
This is the first championship where Mortal Kombat X was officially played. The competition was tough and delivered a champion in both the men’s and women’s sections.
|Title||Name of player/team||Club||Colours awarded|
|CounterStrike: GO||QUNATM||St Conrad’s College||North West Provincial|
|DotA 2||PR0NHS||NorthCliff High||Gauteng Provincial|
|FIFA ’15||Kgosi Tshosa||St Conrad’s College||North West Provincial|
|League of Legends||WRG||White Rabbit Gaming||Gauteng Provincial|
|Morabaraba (female)||Lucille Brown||HGH|
|Morabaraba||Gerard van Biljon||St Conrad’s College|
|Mortal Kombat X (female)||Tania Brown||All Stars|
|Mortal Kombat X||Kyle Chan Some||NorthCliff High||Gauteng Provincial|
|PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER||Wetsho Morobane||St Conrad’s College|
Photographs of the event may be found on https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154579778134008.1073741937.146018324007&type=3
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Gauteng Provincial Championships Press Release:”]
The 33rd Gauteng Championship shall be played on 26 & 27 March 2016
The championship also counts as a qualifier for the MSSA’s National Team Trials.
Registrations are thus open for MSSA’s MWEB/G2A 2016 Gauteng LAN Championships.
Registrations will close on the 23 March 2016. Players who wish to compete in any of MSSA’s Championships are advised to complete their annual registration forms so that they may registered as Registered Players as soon as possible. Late entries will be accepted in exceptional circumstances.
All gamers are reminded that the Gauteng championships is an open championship.In other words any registered player is entitled to enter the championship – no matter where they live, or their category of membership. If you have any queries, please contact the MSSA.
Hosting Club: Tuks Mind Sports (https://www.facebook.com/groups/970831249649816/?fref=ts)
- Venue: Springbok Hall, University of Pretoria
- Date: 26 & 27 March 2016
- Entry Fees: R60.00 per Registered Player per Period
- Entries: Clubs must use the entry form on Google Drive to enter their teams/players.
- Computers: Bring your own. Please ensure that all game updates are done prior to arrival. No updates shall be done at the event.
- Schedule: The LAN Schedule for all Provincial events in 2016 is:
|Time||StarCraft II||PES (Pro Evolution Soccer)||League of Legends (LoL)||HearthStone||Ultra Street Fighter V|
|09H00||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts|
|09H45||Round 2 Starts||Round 1 Continues||Round 1 Continues||Round 1 Continues||Round 2 Starts|
|10H30||Round 3 Starts||Round 2 Starts||Round 2 Starts||Round 2 Starts||Round 3 Starts|
|11H15||Round 4 Starts||Round 2 Continues||Round 2 Continues||Round 2 Continues||Round 4 Starts|
|12H00||Round 5 Starts||Round 3 Starts||Round 3 Starts||Round 3 Starts||Round 5 Starts|
|12H45||Round 3 Continues||Round 3 Continues||Round3
|Time||TEKKEN TTII||PES (continued)||LoL (continued)||Hearthstone (continued)|
|14H00||Round 1 Starts||Round 4 Starts||Round 4 Starts||Round 4 Starts|
|14H45||Round 2 Starts||Round 4 Continues||Round 4 Continues||Round 4 Continues|
|15H30||Round 3 Starts||Round 5 Starts||Round 5 Starts||Round 5 Starts|
|16H15||Round 4 Starts||Round 5 Continues||Round 5 Continues||Round 5 Continues|
|17H00||Round 5 Starts|
|Time||Dota 2||CounterStrike:GO||FIFA ’16||MORTAL KOMBAT X|
|09H00||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts||Round 1 Starts|
|09H45||Round 1 Continues||Round 1 Continues||Round 1 Continues||Round 1 Continues|
|10H30||Round 2 Starts||Round 2 Starts||Round 2 Starts||Round 2 Starts|
|11H15||Round 2 Continues||Round 2 Continues||Round 2 Continues||Round 2 Continues|
|12H00||Round 3 Starts||Round 3 Starts||Round 3 Starts||Round 3 Starts|
|12H45||Round 3 Continues||Round 3 Continues||Round3
|Time||Dota 2 (continued)||CounterStrike:GO (continued)||FIFA ’16||MORTAL KOMBAT X|
|14H00||Round 4 Starts||Round 4 Starts||Round 4 Starts||Round 4 Starts|
|14H45||Round 4 Continues||Round 4 Continues||Round 4 Continues||Round 4 Continues|
|15H30||Round 5 Starts||Round 5 Starts||Round 5 Starts||Round 5 Starts|
|16H15||Round 5 Continues||Round 5 Continues||Round 5 Continues||Round 5 Continues|
Rules and Regulations: All Rules and Regulations pertaining to eSports are available from the MSSA. Players are strongly advised to familiarise themselves with the LAN League Bylaws and all Period Specific Rules. If any Player wishes to provide advice regarding the drafting of the Period Specific Rules they are encouraged to contact the eSBoC who will take all comments into account.
The following Medals may be awarded at the MSSA’s 2016 Gauteng LAN Championship:
- PREMIER: Medals shall be awarded to the first three players who are registered players.
- SCHOLARS: Medals shall be awarded to the first three high school scholars, provided they have not received any Premier medals.
- UNIVERSITY:Medals shall be awarded to the first three players who are currently registered at any officially recognised University, provided the players have not received any Premier Medals.
- WOMEN: Women will be awarded medals as per the same basis as above, that is in all three categories.
Colours and National Team Trials:
- National Colours: All Players that win all of their Matches at a National Championship will earn National Colours.
- Provincial Colours: All Players that win all of their Matches at a Provincial Championship will earn Provincial Colours. All Players who score within the top 50% in a specific Period at a Provincial Championship, and who also score within the top 50% at a National Championship in the same period and in the same year, will earn Provincial Colours.
- National Team Trials: All Players that score within the top 20% or top three places, whichever is greater, in a specific Period at a Provincial or National Championship will earn an invitation to National Team Trials. National Team Trials shall be held in the event that a National Team must be selected to represent South Africa when competing in such Period in an International Championship.
Please note that times may be changed to take into account load-shedding.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.