Hey South Africa, this is all about you. Because we care. For your brains of course.
This week we revealed a number of events that we are honored to be involved in, and if you’re keen to particpate or find out more please click these links:
Articles you may have missed from elsewhere around the local internet:
- Every Single Soldier: Weekly Dev Diary | 19 Feb 2016
- Geek Node: ASTRO Gaming Cup infiltrates rAge Cape Town
- Geek Node: Weekly Level Up Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone Regional at Gaming4Charity
- Geek Node: DGL Masters is ready to lock and load at rAge Cape Town
- Geek Node: Google Play Movies Launches In SA – Nobody Notices
- Lazygamer: ASTRO Gaming are hosting an invitational COD Cup at rAge
- Lazygamer: You voted, and Broforce is coming to PlayStation Plus
- MWEB GameZone: R50 000 ASTRO Gaming Cup announced for rAge Cape Town
- MWEB GameZone: rAge Cape Town will be a showcase for local artists, cosplayers and game devs
- MWEB GameZone: An in-depth look at Orena’s CS: GO GWZA Century Cup
- MyGaming: New monstrously powerful MSI GT80S laptops arrive on South African shores
- MyGaming: Cool careers in SA’s gaming industry
- NAG Online: Competitions happening at rAge in Cape Town
- NAG Online: NAG Jam is back, and it’s heading to rAge Cape Town
- SA Gamer: Broforce Wins the March PS Plus Vote
- Telkom Gaming: Blops 3 Invitational Tournament at rAge Cape Town
Book these days over the next few days in your diary now:
- MGMS is reaching its conclusion with the finals scheduled for 28 February. You can keep up with the results of the matches here, while details of the live stream are still to be announced.
- E-Sports South Africa continues their Black Ops 3 tournament still (it is behind schedule) with some of the matches being streamed live. You can keep updated via their website with the bracket available here.
- Crucial Cup is currently underway with both their Battlefield 4 and Dota 2 events. It’s early days, but with tens of thousands of Rands up for grabs, you can expect plenty of action still.
- Make Games SA have a Cape Town meet up on tonight (Wednesday) at the Bandwidth Barn in Woodstock from 6pm. Entry is free and additional details can be found here.
- UCT’s Genshiken Society are hosting a casual gaming and LAN event on Friday (26 February). It starts at 5pm and runs to 9pm. Entry is free for society members and R10 for non members. Additional information is available on the event page.
- Get Rekt League start their Dota 2 tournament this Friday. There’s R8,000 in cash up for grabs and if you’re keen to find out more or keep tabs, head to their Facebook page.
- Xtreme Gaming are at Blue Route Mall this Saturday (27 February) with a FIFA 16 tournament. It’s a free entry event with prizes (unconfirmed) for the top four placed players. Entries are limited to 64 and details can be found here.
- Game Arena will be hosting not one, but two Mortal Kombat tournaments on Saturday. There will be Mortal Kombat 3 (R30 entry) and Mortal Kombat X (R50 entry), both with cash prizes. Get the start times and other details here.
- Games on and Weekly Level Up are hosting another Hearthstone event on Saturday. The action starts at 12pm and interested participants can register here, with additional information available via Facebook.
- Back with Game Arena on Sunday (28 February) where it will be all about Pokémon and celebrating its 20 years of existence. Movies and cosplay are the order of the day. If that sounds like your kind of thing, the event starts at 11am and you can find out more here.
Keep these days open for some upcoming action a little further in the future:
- 5 to 6 March 2016: Gaming4Charity
- 18 to 20 March 2016: rAge Cape Town
- 7 to 8 May: FanCon
- 29 to 31 July: EGE
Competitions & Giveaways
- IGN Africa: Win rAge Cape Town Tickets
- Lazygamer: Win one of ten family passes to rAge Cape Town!
- Megarom: Win a MAMMOTH Far Cry Primal Hamper
- MWEB GameZone: Tom Clancy’s The Division Hamper Up For Grabs
- Orena: Win 2 Gamecom 788 headsets
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Far Cry Primal Hamper
The Southern Barbarians have continued their winning streak in the ESL Nations Challenge with a win against Greece this past weekend. This takes the team to a tied first spot with their next opponents, Italy.
A win against Italy will secure top spot and a slightly easier route in the knockouts, while a loss is still likely to see the team proceed, albeit via a slightly more difficult bracket.
The match is tentatively scheduled for this weekend, but that is to be confirmed, along with stream details.
The local Halo community want more events, and if the organisers won’t bring it to them, they’ll do it themselves it seems. This past weekend, eight teams (including one from Ghana) battled for the bragging rights and other stuff across a double elimination bracket.
In the end, it was the team that went to Germany for the Halo World Championship – ViNCO Gaming – that claimed the top spot with Banter Boyz securing second.
The full tournament bracket can be found here.
Bravado Gaming has won the Dota 2 Hades League after defeating White Rabbit Gaming in the final. Bravado secures a cash prize of R10 000 for their efforts, while White Rabbit Gaming bags R4000.
you can find out more about the next league planned – called Athena – here.
The MaD Hatters have three tournament on 29 February in the form of League of Legends, Rocket League and Brawhalla. The three tournaments have been sponsored by NerdNab and Roman’s Pizza, and the organisation has also revealed their third ‘March of the Cards‘ event for Hearthstone.
South African shoutcaster, Kyle ‘Congo’ Wolmarans, talks teams and tournaments, with a specific CS: GO flavour.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.