If you always think that nothing ever happens in gaming in South Africa, you probably don’t come check in with us once a week.
A few things from other local sites that you may have missed:
- Zombiegamer: ASTRO Gaming headsets coming to South Africa
- #egmr: Cooler Master Xornet II Will Be In South Africa Mid-January 2016
- Fortress of Solitude: MWEB’s Star Wars Battlefront Launch
- G3AR: Astro Gaming Headsets are now available in SA
- G3AR: A Day In The Woods Wins the Unsung Heroes Competition
- Geek Node: Video Game News: PS4 Summer Sale!
- Geek Node: Event: Mweb Star Wars Battlefront Launch
- Lazygamer: Bravado Gaming crowned Laziest Gamers in the MSI HOTS Tournament
- Live SA: Meet Shaz, the female gamer giving the boys a run for their money
- MWEB GameZone: Black Friday South Africa – Waste of Time or Great Deals?
- MWEB GameZone: End your gaming year with the BHG LAN
- MWEB GameZone: PlayStation 4 South Africa Summer Sale Is Here
- MWEB GameZone: BT Games launches new e-catalogue for Christmas
- SA Gamer: Get your mouse ready for the Battle Hardened Gamers LAN in December
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
Considering we’re closing in on the end of the year, so the noticeable slowdown of events continues (although next weekend looks pretty active).
- Black Ops 3: There’s a LAN tournament for PS4 this weekend hosted by Clan EPiC at Game Arena in Pretoria. The tournament will be a double elimination hosted on Saturday and Sunday, with matches streamed live via Twitch. Additional details about the event can be found here.
- UCON 2015 is on at UCT Saturday and Sunday. Expect all your geek, gaming, anime and cosplay needs to be fully sated at the event. You can read more about it here, with details available here.
- VS Tournament SA is hosting a PES 2016 at Constitution Hill on Sunday 6 December. We would suggest keeping an eye on their Facebook Page to be informed.
- There are a few events slightly further in the future that you may want to book in your diary:
Competitions & Giveaways
- GES: Razer Orbweaver Chroma Giveaway
- Lazygamer: Win a copy of Rainbow Six: Siege (and more!) on your platform of choice
- SA Gamer: Win an Xbox One in time for the holidays!
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Just Cause 3
This past weekend we were at UCT with some Black Ops 3 on PS4 and FIFA 16 at the Cause Gaming LAN event. With around 85 players participating and a really good turn out of spectators, the event was a busy one.
The Black Ops 3 tournament was our first of the new Call of Duty season, and saw ten teams battles via group phases (A, B and C) and into playoffs for their share of the R5,200 in cash and Raru vouchers up for grabs. With a number of new faces in attendance, the future looks good for the local scene, but it did come down to the regular teams and players from the last few years as the finals featured members from Xero Fracture, eN_F34R and Astra.
It was the team playing under the Xero Fracture banner that stood tallest on the day to go undefeated and take the winner’s spot with a 3-1 win to the team called Unknown.
Over 40 players participated in qualifying legs on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 which led into a home and away playoff to determine the winners and their share of the R1,300 in cash and Raru vouchers in the prize pool.
The final was eventually contested between Mubeen Gaffoor and Waseem Moerat, with the former taking first spot on the away goal rule.
Thank you to all the players, teams and spectators that joined us on Saturday – we were once again humbled by the support. We apologise for some technical difficulties experienced early in the day that caused some delay. Thanks to the crew of Cause Gaming for allowing us to join their charity LAN event.
A big shoutout to the sponsors of prizes and products we used on the day:
And the biggest thanks to the crew that helps these things happen (and sometimes without anyone seeing them):
Dylan Rosser (Zombie Bob), Robert James Klarenbeek, Blaque Knight and Astrid Lochner.
Remember to join us at this weekend’s UCON event which will see all things gaming, anime and geek related under one roof.
Bravado Gaming have announced team changes to both their CS: GO and Dota 2 teams.
Leon ‘Flarez’ Wong has returned to the Dota 2 team after a stint with Carbon eSports, while Thulani ‘Lighter’ Sishi has left Bravado’s CS: GO squad to be replaced by ex-Energy player Ruan “Elusive” Van Wyk.
More on the changes can be found here.
The CS: GO team is the SA team previously known as curious7y (c7), while the Overwatch team is a European team.
In a recent interview with Telkom Gaming, Ventus owner Pieter ‘Cyrus’ Venter discussed Corsair’s role in the growth of the organisation.
The rAge juggernaut continues, with this year’s expo setting new records (over 33,000 visitors) in 2015, as well as bagging gold for ‘Best Exhibition in the Consumer Exhibition’ (over 10 000 sqm) at the EXSA (Exhibition & Event Association of Southern Africa) Awards.
rAge hits Cape Town and Gauteng in 2016, so the calendar for gamers, geeks and others is starting to look pretty full.
[hide-this-part Morelink=”Show Press Release:”]
rAge A TOP SA CONSUMER EXPO!
Nothing can stop rAge’s momentum as the expo walked away with a Gold Award for Best Exhibition in the Consumer Exhibition (over 10 000 sqm and above) category at the EXSA (Exhibition & Event Association of Southern Africa) Awards on 25 November 2015.
rAge saw its 13th event this year, which achieved a record-breaking attendance of over 33 000 visitors. The expo has won awards for three years in a row and grows year on year since its inception in 2002.
Senior Project Manager for rAge, Michael James, says, “I’m very happy winning an award for rAge for the third consecutive year. But it’s not just the rAge management team or the people behind the scenes that help to put the expo together that need to be thanked. It’s the exhibitors who spend so much time creating their own individual magic, and the visitors who come to experience it every year that makes rAge what it is.”
The excitement for the 2016 rAge expo is already mounting as thousands of gamers, geeks, cosplayers and technology enthusiasts hold their breath for another chance to get hands-on experience of the latest innovations in gaming and technology. Spreading its wings into Cape Town next year from 18-20 March, the awards may just keep on rolling in for the team.
To find out more about rAge Cape Town call (011) 704 2679 or email email@example.com.
STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT LAUNCH with GIGABYTE!
by Grant Hinds
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.