Want to be in the loop with all the local gaming happenings? Then you’re in the right place we reckon.
Some articles from the past week that you may have missed:
- Zombiegamer: Trenchtown Gaming Event | 26 September 2015
- Lazygamer: We challenge YOU to Rocket League!
- Lazygamer: The Dark Horses of Do Gaming Championships–CS:GO
- MWEB GameZone: MSSA Announces Western Cape Provincial Teams
- MWEB GameZone: Let’s talk SA eSports with Cent from powerhouse Bravado Gaming
- MWEB GameZone: Action-Packed September SA Gaming Events Calendar
- MWEB GameZone: MWEB launches new uncapped ADSL products to get your game on
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
We’ve got you covered with what’s happening this weekend, because we care like that. It’s just a pity there’s not much happening.
- A MAZE./ Johannesburg is currently underway and claims to be “South Africa’s premier Independent Games and Playful Media Festival.” If you’re keen to see what that means, the event runs until 12 September in Braamfontein, and details can be found here.
- DBNGamers are back and bigger than ever before it seems. On Friday (11 September) night from 7pm, you can join some like-minded folk as they discuss games and gaming and even giveaway some goodies. There’s plenty more on offer, but we’ll send you to the event page to get more information about the Durban event.
- Jukes Club and Esports Lounge in Pretoria, in conjunction with Game Arena, is hosting a StarCraft II WCS BarCraft from 1pm on Saturday (12 September) which includes a 1v1 tournament. Details are available here.
Competitions & Giveaways
- G3AR: Win a Minecraft Handbook Set
- Orena: Caesar’s Bounty Giveaway
- SA Gamer: Free Games Vrydag – Mad Max
This month sees a bit of a FIFA extravaganza in Cape Town, with all roads leading to the FIFA 16 launch event at MWEB on 25 September.
Up first is a three venue qualifying event where the three winners will gain entry to the launch event – and face each other for more swag. On 19 September, we will be at Trenchtown, while Games On in Rondebosch and Braccianos in Brackenfell simultaneously host their events.
On to the 25th of September, there’s the FIFA 16 launch and unless you are invited, win one of the three events above or bag a ticket in the random draw, you aren’t getting in. And you will want to be there, because there are two PlayStation 4s up for grabs, alongside a few other prizes.
The Counter-Strike second qualifier is heating up and tonight sees the winner’s bracket final between Energy eSports and Carbon eSports played live on Twitch at 8pm, with shoutcasting by Kyle “Congo” Wolmarans.
The winner will secure themselves a spot in the LAN grand final scheduled for 3 and 4 October where they will face three other teams for the cash prizes up for grabs.
The Guitar Hero Live Challenge at rAge
While all the rock star poses get thrown around (and probably a bunch of \m/ hand-signs), you’ll be able to watch and support your favourite – as long as you are at the ‘really Awesome gaming expo‘ that is.
The annual gaming expo rolls into the Gauteng on 9 to 11 October.
Bravado Gaming has announced their Heroes of the Storm team who will be aiming to participate in the R60,000 tournament which culminates at rAge in October.
The team is made up of “some exceptionally talented South African players who have prevailed throughout various teams and titles” and are:
- Adam “Adastam” Moore (captain)
- Stuart “DisappoinT” Pearson
- Ryan “xeRa” O’Doherty
- Duncan “Skiblet” Frickel
- Gary “Gray” Wade
If you are in port Elizabeth this weekend, then you have Con.ect on your doorstep.
Con.ect is a “PE based, geek centered convention” which kicks off on Friday night (11 September) with card gaming tournaments and hits its stride on Saturday with the main day of activities. The event will be held in the NMMU South Campus Building 123 in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape.
Expect cosplay, gaming and more. Entry to the event is R40 on the Saturday, and there will also be gaming tournaments hosted by Plan-g B4 All Else Fails. On offer will be FIFA 15 and Mortal Kombat X tournaments (entry is R20), as well as games on demo. Up for grabs are Sony PlayStation hampers.
Find out more on the Con.ect 2015 event page.
Sticking with the Eastern Cape, East Coast Tournament has announced a fighting tournament in East London on 3 October.
Both Street Fighter IV and Mortal Kombat X will be featured and entry will be R80.
The tournament will be held at the Methodist Church Hall, 52 Griffen Road, East London.
You can keep you eye on the East Coast Tournament Facebook page for any announcements in the run up to the event.
GameLocal tournament attendees should be aware that the organisation has made two changes to their FIFA 15 tournament schedule.
The Nelspruit event on 19 September has been postponed to an unconfirmed new date, and will now be the date for the Johannesburg event.
The date of the Pretoria has also changed and will now be on 24 October.
Some gameplay and commentary Astra Lithium of the Astra_Infinite team. Their supporter’s jerseys are now also available to buy for R450.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.