South Africa, we really hate saying it almost weekly, but it’s not like nothing happens around here if you’re a gamer, so support, or cry to yourself when things stop happening.
A few local content articles from other South African sites:
- G3AR: Feature Friday: Interview with Ben ‘NoxvilleZA’ Steenhuisen
- G3AR: A Gamer’s Guide to Gaming – A book about video games
- Lazygamer: It looks like Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 will have local dedicated servers, even on console
- Lazygamer: An update on the Black Ops 3 dedicated servers
- MWEB GameZone: MWEB GameZone invites you to the TF2 PASS Time server
- MWEB GameZone: Game and Tech Deals – End of the Month Edition
- MWEB GameZone: A guide to understanding, appreciating, loving and loathing videogames
A quiet weekend awaits, and alongside the LAN below, there’s the Masters Series Advanced Warfare final and MSSA Western Cape Provincials happening – both are covered further down.
- Jukes Club and Esports Lounge is hosting an ‘Old School LAN’ from Friday 28 (5pm) to 30 August (5pm). Entry is R50 per person or free if you bring a friend. Details can be found here.
- GameLocal hit Witbank this weekend with their R10,000 FIFA 15 tournament. Entry is R350 per player, and you will need to be at The Venue at The Ridge on Saturday and Sunday to be in with a chance to walk off with the big pay cheque. You can find out more on their Facebook Event Page.
- We zombies will be at Trenchtown this Saturday for a Black Ops 2 flashback tournament. Registrations have already filled up, but if you want to spectate or socialise, feel free to pop in – there’s no charge and there is a market alongside the shooting. More information is available here.
- The MaD Hatters kick off two tournaments from Monday 31 August – the ‘March Of The Cards’ Tourney #2 for Hearthstone and the ‘Futterwacken’ Tourney #1 for League of Legends.
Competitions & Giveaways
- G3AR: Freebie Friday – Win a Zero Suit Samus Amiibo or Dr Mario Amiibo
- SAGamer: Free Games Vrydag – Dishonored Definitive Edition
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
This past weekend – Sunday to be exact – the last three teams standing in the Advanced Warfare second qualifier battled it out for their placings and the last two spots at the LAN grand finals in October.
First up was the loser’s bracket final which featured eN_F34R and inX Gaming. The game was another thrilling one in a tournament that had already seen its fair share of high quality matches. eN_F34R held their nerve in the end to take the series 3-1 and progress to the final where their rivals Insane Gaming were waiting.
And once again, the two teams didn’t disappoint. The match went all the way to map five, and even then it was a close run thing. Insane Gaming took the final two rounds of SnD to secure the map 6-4 and therefore series 3-2 (and R5,000) to ensure they head to the LAN grand final as the third seed, with eN_F34R bagging fourth seed.
The qualifiers from the first qualifier, Astra Infinite and Ventus Xero, have the first and second seed respectively, and all four will be joined by the qualifying Counter-Strike: Global Offensive winners for a weekend of action in Cape Town.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Kicking off this week is the second qualifier in the Counter-Strike part of the tournament. The two teams that qualify from the second qualifier will face Bravado Gaming and Damage Control at the LAN event.
Registrations for this Heroes of the Storm tournament which culminates at rAge in October close on Friday 28 August, so if you and your team are not registered you can’t stand in line to win your share of the R60,000 prize pool up for grabs.
The tournament is brought to you by Game Arena and Rectron South Africa.
More information – as well as registrations – can be found here.
Carnage.LAN has announced their next event for 9 to 11 October on Windstone Farm in Vredenburg. A ticket will cost you R150, and for that price you will get accommodation thrown in.
You can keep up to date with information about the event here.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to cover it.