Another fine week of gaming has come and gone in South Africa, but never fear, there’s still plenty more on the horizon.
You might have missed some of these articles from elsewhere in South Africa:
- G3AR: TI5 at Jukes Day One
- G3AR: A MAZE will return to Fak’ugesi this year
- Lazygamer: The Weekend in eSports
- Lazygamer: Geek Crate is coming to South Africa
- Lazygamer: A MAZE returning to South Africa with even more African flavour
- MWEB GameZone: Game and Tech Deals You Should Grab This Week
- MWEB GameZone: August 2015 SA Gaming Events Calendar
- MWEB GameZone: SA Dota 2 people, here’s your TIV Pubstomp details
- MWEB GameZone: Results: 2015 MSSA Gauteng vs. Mpumalanga Inter-provincial
- SA Gamer: Rugby Challenge 3 cover art gets tackled by 3 Boks
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
Not quite the busiest week ever coming up in the country, but at least it’s an opportunity to build up your strength for the busier ones.
- The International Pubstomp: Don’t forget, three gaming lounges have your viewing needs covered during this year’s Dota 2 tournament. Braccianos e-Sports Lounge (Brackenfell, Western Cape), Games On Gaming Lounge (Rondebosch, Western Cape) and Jukes Club and Esports Lounge (Pretoria, Gauteng).
- Carnage.LAN Reloaded: From 7 to 9 August, get you LAN fix in Vredenburg on the Windstone Farm. The weekend will cost you (with accommodation) only R150. More information can be found here.
- BIT Expo: BIT Expo is the “first ever major charity LAN being held by by the Univeristy of the Free State,” with funds earned will be used for the Kovsie Jool/RAG. Tickets to the LAN cost R180 and will feature a mini expo and FIFA tournament. More on the Events Page.
- Cape Town Showdown: On Saturday, Cape Town’s virtual fighting community will be at Kamimodo E-Sports Cafe (in Observatory, Cape Town) to fight for cash prizes across four titles. You can get all the information about the action here.
- GameLocal FIFA Tournament: The massive GameLocal FIFA tournament kicks off this weekend in Middelburg, Mpumalanga. The tournament will hit 16 cities over the course of the next eight months or so. Details can be found on their Facebook Page.
- Make Games SA: Johannesburg gets a community evening on Tuesday 11 August from 6:30pm. Details are available on the Facebook Event Page.
Competitions & Giveaways
The second qualifier in the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive tournament has opened registrations, which close on 21 August, and matches starting 24 August.
Over on the console Call of Duty side of things, the second qualifier is now underway with the first few rounds throwing up a number of byes, however, so far the teams are staying generally true to their seedings. You can find the bracket here, and remember to keep your eye out for upcoming live streams of matches.
Orena has completed a busy weekend of action with their Battle for the Throne series, and have now announced the ‘Orena Galactic Slam’ which will see the top four Dota 2 teams in South Africa fight for a winner-take-all prize of R10,000.
In Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, it was the team in blue (Bravado Gaming) which snatched the throne from their rivals Energy eSports, while in Dota 2, the results were reversed.
Energy eSports.Evo were awarded the win over Bravado Gaming.Emotion via an “unfortunate forfeit victory.” Details of both tournaments are promised later this week and another round of tournaments will follow soon.
If you’re keen to re-watch (or even watch for the first time) some of the Battle for the Throne action, then head to Orena’s YouTube channel.
Alienware and Intel have sponsored the Orena Galactic Slam which will see four South African Dota 2 teams battle in a best of three single elimination tournament to bag R10,000 cash.
The Details [via Orena]:
- Sunday 09 August 2015: Playoffs. Single elimination best of three matches.
- Schedule: Check schedule at the bottom of the “event” page for full info.
- Where: Online, view LIVE on twitch.tv/orenaza
- Prize: R10000.00 winner takes all!
- Bracket: Click the following link for the full bracket: https://goo.gl/kftiqR
Bravado Gaming have announced (another) change to their Counter-Strike: Global Ofeensive team, which sees an ex-Energy eSports player and an ex-Ventus Gaming player join their ranks.
The two newcomers replace Bravado veteran Dane ‘racno’ Friedman and Leon ‘Flarez’ Wong, in a slightly controversial change which team captain Dimitri ‘Detrony’ Hadjipaschali explained on Facebook.
The new-look Bravado Gaming CS: GO team is:
- Dimitri “Detrony” Hadjipaschali
- Thulani “LighteR” Sishi
- Aran “Sonic” Groesbeek (ex-Energy eSports)
- Richard “deviant” Groves
- Ashton “Golz” Muller (ex-Ventus Gaming)
- Lazygamer: The South African CS:GO scene undergoes another roster change
- Orena: Q&A with Dimitri “Detrony” Hadjipaschali
- Telkom Gaming: Energy Stars Join Bravado
The organisation that has announced a 16 city, nine province FIFA tournament has now announced a Call of Duty tournament for March 2016.
The Call of Duty tournament – currently slated for Advanced Warfare and not Black Ops 3 – will be a free-for-all event on supplied PS4s on 4 to 6 March 2016. Entry per seat is R450 but their are massive prizes up for grabs totaling R50,000 in cash.
1st – R30,000
2nd – R15,000
3rd – R5,000
Altitude Gaming eSports has kicked off its Fight Night series which saw Bravado Gaming defeat Energy eSports in the first challenge and earn R2,000 for their efforts.
Ozone Tournaments ZA have opened registrations for a 2v2 Rocket League online tournament. Registrations actually close today already and the tournament starts on 7 August.
Sounds like a nice idea for a tournament from one of SA’s more active tournament organisers.
NevRage Online Tournaments
NevRage Online is offering PS4 Call of Duty fans their fix of online tournaments with three events listed on their site.
There is a weekly Master Series which limits each tournament to eight teams with the top teams playing against each other in a grand finals at the end of the season.
The other two events are a ‘Duo Tournament’ and a ‘Randomized Tournament’.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.