So South Africa, did you support or even know about the things happening in your backyard? Well if you didn’t, shame on you, and if you did, well done and keep it up.
- Zombiegamer: So Cape Town, rAge is coming
- G3AR: A Day with 2K and Megarom Games
- IGN: Xbox One getting R800 local price drop
- MWEB GameZone: We had a Battleborn treat and XCOM 2 tease with 2K and Megarom
- MWEB GameZone: Cape Town gets two gaming expos
- MWEB GameZone: This week’s Gaming and Tech deals
- SAGamer: 2K Media Event and interview with Devon!
- Telkom Gaming: eSports
Not quite the busiest week ever coming up in the country, but at least it’s an opportunity to build up your strength for the busier ones.
- Make Games SA: Tonight it’s the Cape Town community event of Make Games SA, so head to 22Seven on Hout Street in Cape Town from 6:30pm to hear from (and meet) local developers and discuss the future of gaming in the country. For more information, head to the Facebook Event Page.
- Not content with just one Wednesday night event, Cape Town has another event this evening. The Virtual Reality South Africa event is an opportunity to “experience Virtual Reality projects first-hand” as well as hear more about what Virtual Reality offers South Africa. The Barn in the Woodstock Exchange from 6:30pm is the place to be for the event. Get more information here.
- Jukes Club and Esports Lounge: Jukes is hosting an “old school” LAN event from Saturday 1 August at 10am. The LAN runs for 24 hours and will cost you just R50. You can keep up to date with news about the event here.
- Altitude Fight Night: On Sunday at 8pm, catch Bravado Gaming as they take on Energy eSports in the first of four invitational CS: GO matches, each with R2,000 up for grabs for the winner. The other three matches will follow over the coming weeks.
Competitions & Giveaways
- #EGMR: Competition Time! Win Cooler Master Novatouch PBT Purple Keycaps
- G3AR: Win a Razer Tartarus
- MWEB GameZone: You can win a COUGAR 700K Gaming Keyboard!
- SAGamer: Free Games Vrydag – Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
This past weekend we started what was meant to be a slow re-entry into running competitive events after May’s Electronics and Gaming Expo, but thanks to a supportive FIFA community in Cape Town, the FIFA 15 tournament at Trenchtown was bigger than we anticipated.
63 players playing on both Xbox One and Xbox 360 battled for a top four grand final spot where R1,500 in cash was up for grabs. In the Xbox 360 qualifier, Sean Olajide secured first, while Brandon Bowers placed second to face the qualifiers (Casey Conradie and Mubeen ‘Mobi’ Gaffoor) from the Xbox One group.
The grand final was played in a home and away format with the first spot on Xbox One playing the number two from Xbox 360 and the Xbox 360 winner facing the Xbox One number two. The first semi-final saw Sean and Mobi face off with Mobi taking a 2-0 win on his away platform and holding out to a goalless draw in the second leg for a 2-0 aggregate win and a spot in the final.
The second semi-final was a bit of a goal-fest. Casey (playing away in the first leg) took a 4-3 lead into the second leg against Brandon, but on the Xbox 360, Brandon turned on the offensive and scored six goals to one reply and secure a spot in the final with a 9-5 aggregate win.
The battle for third and fourth between Caey and Sean was a tight affair which eventually saw Casey win with a 3-2 aggregate after it ended 2-2 in the first leg.
The final between Mobi and newcomer Brandon was pretty much decided in the first leg when Mobi bagged a 6-1 lead which he then followed up with a 2-1 win to secure a 8-2 aggregate win and the lion’s share of the prize pool.
As always, thanks to all the supporters and players that attended the event on 25 July.
You can view photos from the event here.
Our next event is a Black Ops 2 tournament on Xbox 360. It will be a 2v2 tournament on 29 August, and details will follow within the next week.
The second qualifier of the Advanced Warfare Masters Series has just got underway with the first round of matches scheduled to kick off from today and running until the final on 23 August. Up for grabs in the qualifier is a cash prize pool of R10,000 and two spots in the grand final this October, where four teams will battle for their share of R22,000.
- MGMS Advanced Warfare: Up close with Ventus Xero and Astra Infinite
- eN F34R wants to settle the score in MGMS second qualifier
- Insane Gaming on defending their 2014 MGMS champions title
- MGMS Advanced Warfare Qualifier 2: Meet the Teams
For the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive teams, the second qualifier in that portion of the Masters Series will kick off in around four weeks time with the registrations opening on 3 August.
Orena has recently seen the conclusion of two Battle for the Throne events. Both the League of Legends and Hearthstone have seen a ‘Ceasar’ emerge with Hearthstone featuring a new champion and League of Legends witnesses a title defended.
Energy eSports regained their title in League of Legends with a 2-1 win over New World Order.
Meanwhile, in Hearthstone BerZerK Gaming’s ViViD came back from a 1-2 deficit to beat Fafa 3-2 in what was an exciting final.
It seems the Orena crew will be announcing more Battle for the Throne events soon, so stand ready competitors.
If you’re looking for venues to enjoy The International at, then there are three venues offering spectators an opportunity to enjoy the biggest eSports and Dota 2 spectacle in the world. Ever.
From 3 August until the conclusion of The International, you can join others at the following venues in South Africa:
- Braccianos e-Sports Lounge in Brackenfell, Western Cape
- Games On Gaming Lounge in Rondebosch, Western Cape
- Jukes Club and Esports Lounge in Pretoria, Gauteng
Energy eSports has revealed their new website which offers a variety of information about the teams that represent the organisation, along with news.
The most intriguing addition is the ‘Academy’ addition which looks set to see the MGO involve itself in discovering new stars in both the realm of players and casters.
This tournament is a surprisingly well kept secret considering the scale of it.
The GameLocal FIFA 15/16 Tournament is actually multiple tournaments played in multiple cities over the next eight or so months, which culminates in a final in Cape Town in May 2016.
The organisers claim that the tournament will go to 16 cities in nine provinces and will feature a total of 6,672 players. There are prizes up for grabs in each city (R10,000) with a grand prize of R50,000 in cash.
Entry is R350 per player (which scores you an entry, a meal voucher and a Takealot voucher) and R30 per spectator.
The PS4 tournament will start with eight players per groups, with the top two in each group progressing to an elimination phase.
If you’re keen to find out when the tournament will roll into your neck of the woods, we’ve added all the dates to our calendar, but expect a province a month essentially starting with Mpumalanga. We will also keep you informed week-to-week of upcoming legs in the tournament.
- 8 – 9 August: Middelburg, Mpumalanga
- 29 -30 August: Witbank, Mpumalanga
Local mobile developer, RetroEpic, have announced a competition in the lead up to the next game, Ginjah.
The developer is looking for a laugh for the game’s main protagonist, the mischievous cat called Ginjah. So, in conjunction with Make Games SA, a competition featuring a cash prize (with an amount still to be confirmed) has kicked off to find the person who will create a laugh for use in the game and trailer.
The competition runs until 20 August 2015 and the winner will be decided on by RetroEpic.
For more details on the competition and how to enter, head here.
The MaD Hatters have announced the second edition of their ‘March of the Cards’ tournament series.
The tournament is for Hearthstone players and is scheduled for 31 August. The tournament will feature a 64-player cap and will be a best of five single elimination event.
Up for grabs are the following prizes:
- 1st Place: APC BX1400UI Back-UPS & 1 “DeeTwenty Day Pass”
- 2nd Place: R300 & 1 “DeeTwenty Day Pass”
- 3rd Place: R200 & 1 “DeeTwenty Day Pass”
- 4th Place: R100 & 1 “DeeTwenty Day Pass”
- 5th to 8th Place: 1 Hearthstone booster pack code & 1 “DeeTwenty Day Pass” per player
For more information, you can head to the Facebook Event Page or the Tournament Page where you can also register to play. If you want to catch up with what went down in the first tournament a few months back, then head here.
Some photos from Xtreme Gaming’s recent charity event at Blue Route Mall, Tokai.
Sim Race SA
Sim Race SA are one of the few virtual racing organisations in South Africa, and earlier this July, they hosted an endurance race which was taken by Boyd Bryson after over 90 minutes if racing.
The organisation is relatively active and features regular (and varied) race types.
Recent results and other news from Sim Race SA:
- Bryson fights back to win SA simGT Mugello Endurance Race
- Watch the SA simGT Round 5 Imola Highlights
- Bryson extends championship lead with double victory at Imola
Mortal Kombat X
Mortal Kombat X fans should book 5 September in their diary as there will be a tournament featured at the Magical Medieval Fayre from 3pm.
The event – which also features all sorts of medieval shenanigans – will be at the Ball & All Driving Range & Pub in Gauteng. Tickets start at R40 per person and go all the way to R550 per person for a ‘Royal’ ticket.
This past weekend saw the first eSports inter-provincial between Gauteng and Mpumalanga.
Hosted at Rodean School in Gauteng, the tournament featured Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Dota 2.
Gauteng proved too strong for the Mpumalanga team and took the CS: GO and Dota 2 2-0 on both counts.
You can find out about even more events happening in South Africa in our events calendar. If you want all the news about goings on in South Africa, simply click on the SA flag to be whisked to the most comprehensive coverage of South African gaming that you will find on the internet. You may just be surprised by how much is happening around the country.
Know of anything gaming related happening or happened in South Africa? Drop us an email at email@example.com and we will do our best to cover it.