The Call of Duty World League affiliated MAG Cup keeps on getting more and more larger-than-life with the announcement of a Celebrity Challenge that features AKA, Jack Parow, Pippa Tshabalala, Jason Goliath, Rohan Janse van Rensburg and Deep Fried Man, alongside two players from the tournament.
While the action is sure to be… entertaining, there is also a chance for you to win a hamper of goodies to celebrate the event. You can find all the details in the press release below.
CWL MAG CUP – Press Release
22 September 2016 – South Africa The Call of Duty World League affiliated MAG Cup at rAge 2016 is excited to announce the Call of Duty Celebrity Challenge.
The Call of Duty Celebrity Challenge will mark the close the eSports Branding Summit and usher in the start of the MAG Cup, and will see two celebrity teams face each other in a battle for glory. The two teams – Team Red and Team Blue – will be led by captains from the top two seeded teams participating in the MAG Cup.
Team Red will feature musician Jack Parow, comedian Jason Goliath and rugby player Rohan Janse van Rensburg, with team captain being Ismail “Jakez” Jacobs from eN_Astra. Team Blue will be led by Insane Gaming’s Kaelin “Tanker” Govender and will feature journalist Pippa Tshabalala, musician AKA and comedian Deep Fried Man.
The match will be played out in front of a live audience on the MAG Cup stage at rAge on 7 October 2016 from 1:30pm, and will also be streamed live to those not able to attend the expo at the Ticketpro Dome.
To celebrate this epic battle of celebrities – and to get you to pick a side – there will be a chance for supporters to win an exclusive hamper sponsored by Monster Energy, ASTRO Gaming, KontrolFreek, Always On and NAG. The hamper includes a case of Monster Energy drink, 5GB of Always On data, an Astro A40TR with MixAmp for PS4, as well as some epic KontrolFreek and NAG goodies.
To stand in line for a chance to win this great bundle of bounty, supporters will need to voice their support on Twitter and Facebook by announcing their allegiance as follows:
I want to win the exclusive MAG hamper, so I’m supporting #MAGCupRED / #MAGCupBLUE (choose your team) in the #MAGCUPZA Celebrity Challenge.
The winner of the hamper will be chosen via a lucky draw after the competition closes on Thursday 6 October 2016 at 2pm.
More on the Competitors
- Ismail “Jakez” Jacobs: This 32 year old Call of Duty player has the most tournament wins in the country and has been playing since the release of Call of Duty 4 in 2007. He runs his own retail business when not captaining the Energy eSports Call of Duty console team.
- Jack Parow: Zander Tyler better known by his stage name Jack Parow is an Afrikaner rapper from Cape Town, South Africa.
- Jason Goliath: Jason Goliath is a South African comedian and actor best known for his recurring role as Gatiep, in the SABC1 sitcom Ses’Top La. In 2015 he was one of the 10 celebrity contestants on the eighth season of the reality competition series Strictly Come Dancing.
In 2016, he began hosting the late night talk show Larger than Life on SABC3.
- Rohan Janse van Rensburg: Rohan Janse van Rensburg is a South African rugby union player, currently playing with the Lions in Super Rugby and the Golden Lions XV in Currie Cup rugby. His regular position is centre.
- Kaelin “Tanker” Govender: The leader of Insane Gaming has been playing since the release of Call of Duty Black Ops on 2010 and at 21 is currently studying to be a CA.
- Pippa Tshabalala: Pippa Tshabalala is the former presenter of The Verge. She currently writes about games and makes TV.
- AKA: Kiernan Jarryd Forbes, known by his stage name AKA, is a South African hip hop recording artist and record producer.
- Deep Fried Man: Daniel Friedman, known on stage as Deep Fried Man, is a South African musical comedian and writer based in Johannesburg. He describes what he does as “stand-up comedy with a guitar”.
About the MAG Cup
The MAG Cup is a Call of Duty World League affiliated tournament brought to you by Monster Energy, ASTRO Gaming, PlayStation, LG, KontrolFreek, Always On, and African Cyber Gaming League (ACGL) and will culminate at rAge 2016 with a LAN final.
Eight teams will be competing live at the expo for the R120,000 in cash plus gear. Matches will be streamed to an internet audience for those who can’t make the live event, with a broadcast team that features internationally renowned caster, Ben ‘Benson’ Bowe and a team of local casters.
The CWL MAG Cup is shaping up to be an event that you don’t want to miss out on, so be sure that you get yourself ready for the biggest Call of Duty console event that this continent has ever seen!
African Cyber Gaming League (ACGL):