And so the annual Call of Duty circus restarts.
Activision have released both a live-action video and a short teaser, which drops hints about the upcoming Sledgehammer developed title. The catch phrase is “a new era arrives”, and that the official reveal will happen on 4 May.
Of course, that doesn’t stop the leaks and the speculation at all.
Based on the live-action video, it seems pretty clear that private military corporations will feature heavily in the game, and that it will be present day or pretty near future at least.
The second trailer is a little clearer, and it suggests that Kevin Spacey is to star in the game. Whether he is a good guy or a bad guy is still to be revealed.
However, it’s via Destructoid that the real meat appears. The website has got hold of the trailer and screenshots due for reveal on 4 May, and you can tell quite a bit from it.
**UPDATE** The trailer has now been officially released.
Near future? Check. First person? Check. Explosions, guns, action? Check. Call of Duty? Check. Xbox One the lead platform? Check. Whether Sledgehammer will get the eSports desires married with all the action remains to be seen.
The game is scheduled for release on 4 November.
The official product description has been released, as has the boxart:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, developed by Sledgehammer Games (co-developers of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3), harnesses the first three-year, all next-gen development cycle in franchise history, and again brings all add-on content first to Xbox.
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare envisions the powerful battlegrounds of the future, where both technology and tactics have evolved to usher in a new era of combat for the franchise. Delivering a stunning performance, Academy Award winning actor Kevin Spacey stars as Jonathan Irons – one of the most powerful men in the world – shaping this chilling vision of the future of war.Power Changes Everything
• Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare takes place in a plausible future in which technological progress and today’s military practices have converged with powerful consequences.
• In this carefully researched and crafted vision of the future, Private Military Corporations (PMCs) have become the dominant armed forces for countless nations outsourcing their military needs, redrawing borders and rewriting the rules of war.
• And Jonathan Irons, the founder and president of the world’s largest PMC – Atlas Corporation – is at the center of it all.
• Powerful exoskeletons evolve every aspect of a soldier’s battle readiness, enabling combatants to deploy with an advanced lethality and eliminating the need for specialization.
• The introduction of this gameplay mechanic delivers enhanced player movement and verticality through boost jumps and grappling, covert cloaking abilities, and biomechanics that provide unparalleled strength, awareness, endurance, and speed.
• With the advent of the exoskeleton and newly advanced armor and weaponry, every soldier commands tactical freedom in any terrain unlike ever before, fundamentally changing the way gamers play Call of Duty across all modes.
• Harnessing the power of next-gen platforms, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare brings players into the battlegrounds of the future by boasting a new hi-tech, advanced arsenal and ability set, arming players with all-new equipment, technology, perks, and vehicles like hoverbikes and highly specialized drones.
• Players can also choose between standard ammunition and an all-new class of directed-energy weaponry that enables totally new gameplay dynamics.
• And with exoskeletons delivering a massive force multiplier and unprecedented tactical freedom, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare evolves every firefight.
And if that’s not enough information for you, the Press Release:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Boosts Franchise to New Heights on the Next Generation
– Power Changes Everything on November 4
– Starring Academy Award Winning Actor Kevin Spacey, New Call of Duty Delivers a Stunning Vision of the Future
– First Call of Duty game created with three-year development cycle
– First Call of Duty game helmed by new AAA studio, Sledgehammer Games
– Prepare for the Next Generation Advanced Soldier
SANTA MONICA, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– The power of the next generation of advanced soldier. The power of a gripping performance from Kevin Spacey. The power of all-new, exoskeleton gameplay mechanics. Power changes everything. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare delivers an inspired new era of Call of Duty. Published by Activision Publishing, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI), and developed for next gen consoles and PC by Sledgehammer Games, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare delivers a breathtaking, new vision for the blockbuster franchise.
“We’ve made several key decisions with an eye towards creative excellence on Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. We’ve really approached this game differently,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. “This is our first three-year development cycle. It’s our first time with Sledgehammer Games at the creative helm. And we’re shaking up the formula in several ways. New core gameplay mechanics with the exoskeleton suit. A riveting new story. An iconic new character played by one of the world’s best actors in Kevin Spacey. We’re having a lot of fun making this game, and we think the world is going to have even more fun playing it.”
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare jolts players forward in a groundbreaking experience that’s ripped-from-the-headlines-of-tomorrow, envisioning a future where both technology and tactics have evolved to usher in a new era of combat for the franchise. Set in the year 2054, a private military corporation (PMC) has emerged with the power to rescue humanity from a devastated world struggling to rebuild after a global attack on its military and infrastructure. You are the advanced soldier. Empowered with new, cutting-edge exoskeleton abilities, technological advancements and high-tech gear, players join the ranks of a highly-trained, specialized unit committed to restoring order in a state of advanced warfare.
“It’s been a lot of fun working with the team to bring Jonathan Irons to life. The technology is truly remarkable and unlike anything I’ve done before. I’m excited to see where this goes,” said Academy Award winner Kevin Spacey.
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is being developed specifically for next gen consoles and PC. This is the first iteration of publisher Activision’s expanded three-year development cycle allowing the debut lead title from Sledgehammer Games an added year of studio development. With the expanded production capabilities, Sledgehammer Games is able to create an astonishing new, next generation experience, featuring an array of technical advancements from the sights and sounds that create a near photorealistic world unlike any Call of Duty before, to new performance capture and facial animation technologies that deliver lifelike characters, to a rich and immersive story that brings the fiction to life.
“This is an opportunity of a lifetime, and an honor for Sledgehammer Games. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is the most ambitious and creative project we have ever worked on. From the endless research and thousands of production designs, to our incredible focus on the narrative and amazing attention to detail – we’re taking nothing for granted,” said Glen Schofield, co-founder and game director of Sledgehammer Games. “Call of Duty connects with the fans on such a deep level, and crafting a new vision for the next generation has been so inspiring for us.”
Michael Condrey, co-founder and studio head of Sledgehammer Games added, “Glen and I created this team with the singular vision of delivering the best work of our lives. We know we’re stepping into some pretty big shoes, but every day I’m amazed at the talent and focus at work here touching everything from the story experience to multiplayer. We’re excited to lead the next chapter in this great franchise, and we can’t wait for November 4th.”
Starting today, fans can begin pre-ordering their copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare at retail outlets worldwide. The title is scheduled for release on November 4. For the latest intel, check out: www.callofduty.com, www.facebook.com/callofduty, www.youtube.com/callofduty or follow @CallofDuty on Twitter and Instagram. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is not yet rated.